Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naperville, IL code. Foundation question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naperville, IL code. Foundation question.

Hi everyone,

I am planning to start digging foundation as soon as the ground here becomes unfrozen.
    Has anyone here had any experience with the Naperville City code regarding foundation for a 36" brick oven? I plan 60X60 slab sitting on D12X42" concrete plugs, with rebar anchored to the plugs.

Many thanks,
    Alec

Re: Naperville, IL code. Foundation question.

No experience with Naperville City.

Why not pay a visit to your local municipal building department ? Show them what you are planning and ask for advice. In my experience these people are genuinely interested and helpful when homeowners ask for advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
      No experience with Naperville City.

Why not pay a visit to your local municipal building department ? Show them what you are planning and ask for advice. In my experience these people are genuinely interested and helpful when homeowners ask for advice.
      Good idea, but stay anonymous if you can.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
        Good idea, but stay anonymous if you can.
        So the local councils are the same there huh?
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          So the local councils are the same there huh?
          Yes, and included with that is checking your brain at the door once your voted in!

Interestingly, here in MN, the land of 10,000 rules, you don't need a permit to pour a slab... of any size! Now, if you get carried away with that statement it may cause you problems. Being a shed builder, I know you can build a shed, usually up to 120 sq ft (sometimes 100 sq ft) without any permits, but you're supposed to stay within setbacks.

I concur that a call or visit to your city hall is the only place you should count on for an answer that truly applies to you.
          My oven (for now):
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

I pulled this from the Napverville Code located at:

Municode - Search

Residential Code:

5-1B-3: - CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS:

Except for accessory structures (one hundred fifty (150) square feet of floor area or less), a permit shall be obtained before beginning construction, alteration or repairs, other than ordinary repairs, using application forms furnished by the Building Official.

Since most oven structures are around 25 ft2 looks like you are good to start going - though I am not well versed in your code.
            Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Building codes and permit requirements vary greatly.

Most people who run into problems are those who do not check ahead of time. For some reason, the "we don't need no stinking permit" types are usually also those who end up having bad experiences.

As surprising as it may sound, your local municipal building staff are usually more than willing to help out a homeowner that goes to them for information/advice.
              Last edited by Neil2; 01-15-2011, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Interestingly, here in the land of checks and balances, your local building inspector reigns absolutely. There is no appeal to any higher authority once he rules on an issue. There is a state level building code authority, but their power is advisory only: they can't make your local building department change a decision.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

We are getting ready to approach our local building dept.
                  What would the approximate weight of a 36" insulated oven with a brick chimney on a 65X65" foundation?
                  Appreciate any ideas.

Regards,
                  Alec

Comment

Originally posted by Alec&Elena View Post
                    We are getting ready to approach our local building dept.
                    What would the approximate weight of a 36" insulated oven with a brick chimney on a 65X65" foundation?
                    Appreciate any ideas.

Regards,
                    Alec
                    Originally posted by Forno Bravo
                    Each Pompeii Oven Kit Includes

Medium duty 9”x4.5”x2.5” firebricks; 38% alumina, 134lb/ft

Medium duty 12”x12”x2.5” floor tiles; 38% alumina, 134lb/ft

FB Mortar high temperature, waterproof mortar

FB Blanket oven dome insulation

FB Board under oven floor insulation

Kit Specifications

Pompeii90
                    120 9”x4.5”x2.5” firebricks;
                    17 12”x12”x2.5” floor tiles
                    110 lbs. high temperature, waterproof mortar (FB Mortar)
                    Two 50 sq ft 1” insulating blankets (FB Blanket)
                    Three 24”x36”x2” insulating boards (FB Board)

Weight: about 1,600 pounds

Looks like about 1600 pounds, PLUS your oven stand, chimney and whatever enclosure you make.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Called the Building Dept. on Friday.
                      There are no set rules for the foundation (either 42" slab, or floating one, or floating connected to the pears).
                      What is important is that the slab has to be 12", with at least 4" of gravel underneath, and it has to extend 6" in all directions from the edge of the structure.

Just recently the City changed their rules. Now you need permits even for water heater, softener, furnace, etc. installations. Seems not really enforceable rules...

Thanks everyone for leads and ideas!
                      -Alec

Comment

the slab has to be 12", with at least 4" of gravel underneath, and it has to extend 6" in all directions from the edge of the structure.
                        That's serious overkill. Those are the dimensions of below grade footings, for masonry fireplaces with stories-high chimneys, except those are poured on undisturbed earth. That's a LOT of concrete for any freestanding backyard structure.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Alec&Elena View Post
                          Called the Building Dept. on Friday.
                          ......snip......Seems not really enforceable rules...

Thanks everyone for leads and ideas!
                          -Alec
                          When you sell, your buyer's Lendor will require a home inspection before closing (the inspector will go to the city and look at every permit ever pulled for your home).

A good inspector will catch many things and you will be forced to address any nonconformance with the code (an inspector's report is frequently used to reopen negotiations about price, and it does not go up).

Sometimes Banks refuse a loan based on a trusted inspector's report. As a practical matter, that is how it gets enforced if the compliance people miss something.

That slab requirement is really overbuilt, but, you'll have to please those people. Building codes in general are good things....In my view, that particular reading of the code is an illustration incompetancy and/or government run amuck.

Good luck with your oven construction.
                          Lee B.
                          DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I built a 5' by 6' slap in Elmhurst, IL and had to dig a 4' by 1' trench around the perimeter. In Elmhurst there are no codes directly related to Brick Ovens but they had a outdoor fireplace go in about a month earlier, I got the same treatment. Because of the shape/elevation of my yard, I dug the foundation by hand. A lot of work but worth it. Do not do anything without a permit! I know of a person in Westmont that built an outdoor kitchen with Brick oven without a permit. A building inspector heard of this and had the whole thing torn down... He had to rebuild with permit. There are other codes that you need to be aware of as well, thinking of easements and distance from other structures. Take a look at my oven under quiltman and you can see. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.
                            -John

Comment

Originally posted by quiltman View Post
                              A building inspector heard of this and had the whole thing torn down... He had to rebuild with permit.
                              They cant do that thankfully in Melbourne, they have to take you to VCAT where you can appeal and get a retrospective permit.

Besides that, all the building inspectors here are now all subcontractors so dont give a hoot.
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X