'00' flour in Wisconsin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '00' flour in Wisconsin?

If anyone knows of a source for type '00' pizza flour (e.g. Caputo), in bulk, in Wisconsin or nearby (e.g., Chicago), please share! I've been searching for a source where I can pick it up and avoid shipping costs.
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Re: '00' flour in Wisconsin?

Greco and Sons distributing in Milwaukee and Chicago, They do have a will-call dock for pick up.

Maybe I should ask if this is commercial or home use? Becuase 50# bags might be a little to much for just home use.
    You can get another brand of 00 grind flour from Glorioso's deli on Brady Street. I think Grano is the brand name.

About Mid July, I hope to have a Professionale 120 in my restaurant in Minocqua, so if you get up this way I could do a few pounds here and there if needed.

You may be able to get a few pounds from Pizzeria Piccalo on Tosa (76th & State) if they are using Caputo (I do not know what they are using) but they do advertise as making authentic Neapolitan pies So chances are they are using the good stuff

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! I'm hoping to find a 25# bag (or so) for home use, but I could do 50# if necessary (we do lots of pizza parties anyway). Thanks again.
      - Daren
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

For what ever it's worth, I had no problems burning through a 50 lb bag last summer (home use)
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

So where did you get yours, Mike?
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

Now if you tell me your a Yooper, I may need to find a valid reason to visit and help you go through some flour

Comment

db, check out Gordan Food Service Marketplace. i think they have a store in Rockford, Il. Escanaba or Marquette, Mi if you are a Yooper. Gordon Food Service - Food Service Distributor & Products - GFS.com it's worth a call..

Comment

I stopped by GFS this morning to pick up a Prime Rib for Superbowl and checked out the flour aisle while I was there. they have 2 brands of High Gluten flour, Bouncer and Primo Gusto. $12.00 for 25#... I don't know if either is considered "00". i will pick up a bag of the Primo Gusto the next time i need pizza flour...

Comment

Originally posted by GotRocks View Post
                  Now if you tell me your a Yooper, I may need to find a valid reason to visit and help you go through some flour
                  No, I'm not from the Upper Peninsula. I guess the Yoopers call us "trolls" (ie - we live below the bridge).

I live in an area without a lot of good resources. I was able to track down some Caputo 00, however. There is an excellent wine shop in town. He does not carry much as far as food products, but does have a small selection of cheese and cured meats. I had the owner over for pizza one day (it's never a bad idea to become friends with the owner of a good wine shop!). We talked about the pizza making, the flour, etc. It turns out that even though he doesn't sell these products (flour, etc), his cheese is provided by a food distributer and has access to a large array of foods other than what's in his store. One quick phone call, and the guy threw the flour into his next shipment of cheese.

I think it's worth inquiring at any type of food store or deli. They may not carry the flour regularly because it is not a demand item, but if you are willing to pay ahead of time, I'm sure they might be able to order it.
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

I know this is late - but I was able to buy a 50# bag of 00 at Fraboni's in Madison by special order. The owner is great to work with. (Steve Fraboni).

Comment

Thanks sholding, good to know! I'm still looking, and I do occasionally get down to Madison.
                      Picasa web album
                      Oven-building thread

Comment

Hi Daren
                        If you'd like one more ready source for Italian Flour in Wisconsin, don't forget Glorioso's Brothers in Milwaukee. It's now in a really nice newer and bigger location at 1011 E. Brady Street. Check them out here OnMilwaukee.com Marketplace: Gloriosos rooted in family, on Brady Street
                        or here Glorioso Bros. Italian Foods - Milwaukee, WI or Glorioso Bros. Italian Foods - East Side - Milwaukee | Urbanspoon
                        There are lots of reviews you can look up on the web.

My wife and I did our college years in Madison and loved Fraboni's. We couldn't visit Madison afterwards without a quick run through the campus Fraboni store, but Glorioso's makes Fraboni's look like little league. Appleton to Madison 105 Miles Appleton to Milwaukee 107 miles but faster roads.

You will find your flour there and 6 in 1 tomatoes and more kinds of cheese than you can believe, including all the great Grande Pizza cheese varieties. As it looks like you are in Appleton, you probably already get the Grande at Vern's Cheese in Chilton. Vern's Cheese Online

But don't go to Glorioso's unless it's lunch time. The spicy italian sandwich with hot guardinera on a super crispy italian bun is to die for!

Happy hunting

John in Merrill

PS I am considering a cast build for a WFO, do you have a good source for refractory cement?

Comment

jgestner.. my first oven is a brick 36".. my next will be cast. do you have a set of plans?

Comment

Thanks John! I do get down to Milwaukee on occasion, so I'll be sure to check out Glorioso's, especially at lunch! I do already get my Grande Whole Milk Mozzarella at Vern's. I even ride there on my bike on occasion and carry the cheese home in a backpack.
                            I got my dry-mix refractory mortar through a local brick company, but they ordered it special from out of state so it cost a fortune.
                            Picasa web album
                            Oven-building thread

Comment

I know that you were looking for WI but delmonicos market ( sp ) in north east minneaplois has 00 flour and they sell it in 5# bags I don't remember the price but it was not too bad.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X