Fire brick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire brick question

Finally got started on my oven ,one reason to start was i was given a pallet load of fire bricks which are high duty furnace bricks. The plans book recomends not using them.they were free am i wasting my time using them or are they ok to use.

Thanks mick r

Re: Fire brick question

More info needed on both the bricks and if they had been used in a specific situation, ie chimney stack of a toxic waste dump, lol
    What grade bricks? What weght are they? What size?
    And you user name suggests you may also work in the lime industry?
    Got the bricks intended for the kiln?
    If so, they may be very high alumina, and fairly dense.
    Last edited by Johnny the oven man; 07-10-2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

High duty bricks will work fine. They'll be a little hard to cut, but you can't argue with free. Now, if you were going out to buy bricks, it wouldn't be the type I would recommend, but if you're up to cutting dense brick, you're good to go.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Fire bricks are special types of bricks meant to be used in places where extreme temperatures are expected. Furnaces, fireplaces, outdoor pizza ovens are some of the places where we need to maintain the heat inside, however, it is impossible to work close to them if these temperatures are not stopped from escaping outside. Hence, bricks made out of a special ceramic material should be used to line the walls, floors and ceilings of such areas.
        Commercial Roofing Company

Comment

Sure, fire bricks are great. But, I have 200 hard red bricks that I need to use. Can I use them in a round oven dome? Has anyone used red brick instead of fire brick? This is a residential Pompeii oven design. I will host pizza parties and will have this oven fired up most of the long Minnesota winter.

Comment

lots of people have made very successful ovens with red bricks.
            -------------------------------------------
            My 2nd Build:
            Is here

Comment

Well, my oven is done and I am enjoying treat things from it. It looks like hard red bricks work just fine. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X