Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imported WFO from Portugal

Hi all,
    I'm a newbie and this will be my first post.
    I have tried a few searches on this subject but not coming up with anything relevant.

Built a patio recently which is a work in progress. It desperately needs a pizza oven, and I have persuaded the wife that this is the case. The kids helped with these negotiations.
    Now I have done a lot of browsing on the subject, to the point that I am so full of internet info, I haven't a clue what's the best way to go.
    I work abroad, will be home in 3 weeks, for only 3 weeks, then away again.
    So I don't have a lot of time, but would like to get a working oven before I go away again. I can get some help with the base and have that done in a few days.
    Simplest solution is pre built WFO - but very pricey in general.
    But I have seen this on ebay...
    Brick Wood Fired Pizza Oven PIZZAIOLI Design 120Cm | eBay

Imported from Portugal, exactly the style I want, and looks a decent deal.
    I'm waiting for response from seller regarding insulation and type of brick.
    Anyone got one, heard of them or got any comments?

Re: Imported WFO from Portugal

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...tml#post148953 I have a Portugese oven...Quite like the one you have asked about. I can tell you for a fact that you will have to insulate under and around the oven to acheive sustained cooking. I put 2" of CF board under the cement type platform and covered the dome with 3-4" of 1" roll insulation. I fired the oven a few times before I insulated it and I was underwhelmed. That said, now that it is insulated and walls and roof put around it , I am quite happy. Gets to 700-800 in about a hour on a arm load of oak and will remain hot for days. Without the insulation, you will use a lot of wood, and You may get some cracking, do to temperture variants in the oven and out side[ambiant] temp. I don't care what the guy in the add said...Don't care for the chiminey behind the door either...Your mililage may vary....cheers! P.S. In the process of building.. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/h...ite-19553.html
    Last edited by thickstrings; 07-31-2013, 04:18 PM.
    " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

As Thickstrings noted above, this design does work for pizza as long as there is insulation added. There is another thread that has an oven design much like the Portuguese oven you're looking at. The same insulation, vent location, and door issues are discussed. The link is below.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/b...hat-19699.html

I have a Pompeii style and bake mostly bread, roasts, ribs, chickens, etc. so I would not be able to use the Portuguese oven without several modifications. Primarily, I'd need to be able to close the oven with the door so the vent doesn't "leak" heat out of my baking chamber...and obviously make sure I had good insulation both top and bottom.

Spend some time looking through the forum and associated photos...lots of good information here. Better to spend three weeks looking at your options and really asking yourselves..."What do I want to cook in it and for how many?" ...rather than buying something just because it's relatively inexpensive and you can put it in place quickly.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

How do you patent a 4000 year old design?

International patent
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          How do you patent a 4000 year old design?

International patent
          Hi Al,

The same way you would Human Genes! Not the ones you wear, but the ones that wears you!

Comment

Thanks chaps for the replies.
            If I've got to purchase and fit a load of insulation, then render it, them modify the flue/door arrangement, it's not a cheap oven.
            Not had any reply from the seller regarding insulation or type of brick used, so assume it's a non-starter for me.
            I think I'll sit back for a while and wait 'till I have time to build one myself .
            At least I'll know how it's been put together.
            Definitely want the dome design though.

Comment

Artisan Ovens Construction of our wood fired ovens - YouTube Here is a video of a "Portugese" oven being built [the one I have]..There may be other places that build them in Portugal but I think they are are all the same. Notice there is NO insulation....just a little cladding and a lime wash.
              " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Unfortunately, since I'm stuck offshore using satellite internet we are blocked access to youtube.
                I'll look at the video when I get home.
                I think the fact that my questions to the seller regarding insulation have no response after 2 weeks, despite chasing it up, are giving me a hint to steer away.
                It's good to have confirmation of this from here though.
                Stiil a nice looking oven though.

Comment

I have to say, that looks a little expensive - it seems that you're paying for the aesthetic finish which, as per the other comments, aren't worth a lot when you'll still have to insulate under and over.

I got my pre-cast for well under ?400 delivered from France. (OK, it is about the smallest WFO on the market, with a 2' internal diameter.) Just be prepared to do a bit of building work!

PM me for details if you wish.

Rich
                  Last edited by cleverdick; 08-06-2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X