reviving an old brick oven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: reviving an old brick oven!

Click the paper clip, top middle of the reply post window> search for image > upload.

Images are best reduced to 800x600 pixels.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggreen View Post
      Can someone explain to me how to post pictures? or PM me a email-address and I'll send the pictures to you to post for me. Thank you.
      Biggreen,
      I tried all the tutorials and only after I had made 25 posts and switched to Photobucket was I able to post a pic. I don't know if it was either or both. I started out using Picasso to chronicle my build and still do. It is easy to organize. What ever I put in my "Oven" file is automatically synced with what people see when they click on "my picasso web album". To post to this forum I upload to Photobucket. It is just that I was familar with it before joining this forum. I have discovered that if I link to Photobucket the pics are automatically resized. I use the littlle postage stamp looking icon. It will bring up a box which says "copy the url of your image". I copy the direct link selection for the pic that I want to insert. In photobucket just clicking the direct link automatically copies the selection. I use the keystrokes Ctrl/V to paste.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Finally, here are a couple pictures. The oven hasn't been used in a very long time and it was hidden behind some shelves when we moved in. It is about 6 feet deep by 4 feet wide(I measured it this time). There is a vent at the top of both the front and the back. The one in front has a metal baffle plate that slides in and out to control the draft. From what I've read, they usually only vent from the front so I wonder why there is a second one in the back. It seems to be in very good shape structurally but they removed the chimney as it exits the roof and covered it with shingles. I'm trying to find a local chimney expert to either restore the original one or since the bake oven is out on a separate wing from the main house and has a short roof over it just put up a stainless steel one up through it. It would only need to go up about 5 feet to exit the short roof.
        Last edited by Biggreen; 02-14-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Nice find....
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday
            How cool is that .....thanks for the pics.. love the pattern on the dome roof

Regards Dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Does anybody know if these old bake ovens were designed to work at the high temps needed for Pizza? My guess is that it would work OK but it may take a lot to heat it up.

Comment

I love it when interesting 'old' threads are given new life. Especially when I never saw it the first time.
                Jeff
                My 42-inch build

Comment

Update:
                  We had a chimney expert open up the roof and remake the top of the chimney and install a new baffle plate. He told us it was safe to use so after probably 50-70 years of sitting idle the 130 year old oven is burning wood again. We made some pizza and it was delicious. Not quite up to the temp I wanted but it was great to try it out. It has a flue vent in the front and back of the dome and next time I'm going to use the front vent only to see if the temp will go up faster.

Comment

That looks like the old French Oven that Poilane used, the slot in the floor is for boiling water to supply steam for the bread.

Comment

I never thought of boiling water on that steel plate. It lifts off to expose a chute to a large ash collection area under the oven that is accessible from outside the house behind a cast iron door.

Comment

Good luck with the new home, I just bought a home myself (no oven) definitely would love to see some pics

Comment

Wow! What a find. From the looks of it that oven will last for a looong time

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X