Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Mountain WFO

Hello,
    I will be assembling a Premio2G110 this summer/fall...just wondering if any locals have a WFO. Any tips to deal with the cold climate would be appreciated. Igloo vs Gable etc.
    Thanks,
    Peter

Re: Green Mountain WFO

Hi. I'm in RI, not Vermont, but for what it's worth, here's my experience.

We wimped out and got a Toscano pre-assembled oven instead of going the DIY route. This is the third summer; it's been through two winters. It's an igloo shape and I was assured it would be winter-worthy. I admit to being skeptical since it was the California Forno Bravo staff making the promise, not folks from the cold northlands! But, it's worked out pretty well. No problems at all the first winter -- just didn't immediately fire it up to full temp the first couple of times in the spring.

BUT, after this winter which ended with torrential rains, we opened the oven to find it was wet, wet, wet inside. The floor was soaked and it was wet half-way up the dome! It took a long series of curing fires to get it dried out again.

The reason for relaying all this is by way of saying that if you can build your oven in a way to give it some protection from the elements I think that's the way to go. I keep trying to figure out how to construct an attractive roof over ours. But where we have it situated, that's going to be tough.

The alternative, of course, is to wrap it in a lovely blue or brown tarp for the winter -- better than getting it soaked again, of course, but aesthetically not very pleasing.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: Green Mountain WFO

KSM,
      Thanks for your imput...I was tending more to an enclosed oven design for just your very reasons. I hope you are successful with your waterproofing !
      Cheers,
      Peter

Comment

Working...
      X