Wood Ovens and Fire Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Ovens and Fire Code

I'm wondering if anyone knows any information about the legality of building a commercial wood oven. I know that it is probably dependent on the township, and I plan to do some further research on that front, but in general who dictats the rules, is it building code, fire code? both

Thanks

Re: Wood Ovens and Fire Code

The answer to your question is very dependent on your local laws. As you are talking commercial oven, you may also have to involve your local zoning or planning board. I suggest you contact your municipality and ask them, but DON'T submit any plans until you've been given the code requirements by which they will be judged. When I submitted my plans, I also gave my code enforcement office a big loaf of freshly baked sourdough bread, so they knew what was at stake. The process of getting my permit went smoothly, even though when I first contacted them, the personnel were fairly negative about my being able to build a WFO in my back yard. Good luck.

Comment

I submitted my plan only to have firemarshal tell me pizza oven constitues a recreational fire and has to be 25ft form combustInternational Fire Code 2009 (IFC) defines recreational fires as “[a]n outdoor fire burning materials other than rubbish where the fuel being burned is not contained in an incinerator, outdoor fireplace, portable outdoor fireplace, barbeque grill or barbeque pit and has a total fuel area of 3 feet (914 mm) or less in diameter and 2 feet (610 mm) or less in height for pleasure, religious, ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes.” The construction of a pizza oven as you described fits this definition. Therefore the requirements of IFC 307.4.2 shall apply.
      IFC Section 307.4.2 requires recreational fires shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a structure. Therefore I would not approve your proposed pizza oven to be constructed where indicated on the submitted site plan (14 feet from the structure). Somehow he has it in his mind a pizza oven is the equivilent of a bonfire. I've gotta find somebody with a firefighter friend with access to NFPA codes or membership to ask the question - Does a pizza oven constitute a recreation fire? Does the size 42"diameter make the 36" or less requirement non applicable and therfore the definition does not apply
      Last edited by larrycooper; 03-05-2012, 03:21 AM. Reason: poor wording

Comment

The question I have when I see stuff like this is, Why? Why would you invite goverment intrusion into your life by filing for a building permit for something that does not require it. It is not technically a permanent structure because it can be moved. Not easily but can be. Therefore requires no permit. Just like if you build a deck and it does not tough the house no permit required in most areas. Never invite the government to stick their nose into your business. You most likely could have built it them never knowing the difference and everything would be just fine. Now you've shot up a flare for them and the will be watching to see if you go ahead without their consent.

I know I sound like a bit of an anarchist, it's just as I'm in the construction trades I have had to deal with these empty heads for years. If it's a gray area most times you can go ahead and do it and if they don't like it plead ignorance. In this case my motto is better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Comment

Well, some of us seem to treat WFOs and WFO baking in a religious fashion.

Karl

Comment

Working...
          X