Pennsylvania oven builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania oven builders

Are there any PA oven builders and users out there? I am in Perry county and am in the process of building.

Re: Pennsylvania oven builders

Hey Neighbor! Im here in PA in Bucks County (east PA). There are only a handful of others that I know of in PA. I know its been a while since your post...but are you finished? Would love to see photos posted.

Comment

I had to take a month off due to vacation and I couldn't get the materials I needed. such as fire clay for under the insulation. are you having trouble finding materials?

Comment

I didnt have too much trouble finding materials....had to be willing to drive a bit sometimes. Fireclay I found at a nearby mason supply...shouldnt be too difficult in PA. For me, The most difficult thing to find was the insulation. There are some places you can mail order (blanket and board)

Comment

Try Budding Company in Camp Hill...they look like they have most everything you will need (Fireclay, firebrick, etc.) They also deliver so if you figure out everything you need, get them to deliver it all in one shot.

Budding Full Hardscape & Masonry Product List from A -Z

Comment

working hard to finish the oven exclosure stone by Memorial Day. go to my album to view

Comment

Hi, just finished the oven here in Northampton County. Had a local stone mason do it and he really enjoyed building it. Finally have my outdoor kitchen (almost done) and wish the wind would stop so we could enjoy it. We've had pizza several times (some good and some not so much) and my friend dropped off a small prime rib roast for me to do for dinner--no pressure there! I planned on something on the lower end for my first try. Like everything in the oven, you just need to be there with it. It was great. On the other hand, my overnight Tuscan white beans were charred beans! Bean pot ugh! This is loads of fun.

Hope you have your oven ready for the weekend. I think we can be out there Monday enjoying it. Right now it's 49 and very windy.

I hear at the local Italian Mkt that there is another Lehigh Valley guy getting ready to build an oven. Not sure of his plan. Was looking for a mason.

Comment

I'm in the beginning stages of my build. I'm getting ready to pour the hearth stand this week.next step is the oven. I'm in Northampton County also, Upper Mount Bethel. Where did you get your insulation and fire brick? I know Easton Block has fire brick.

Comment

Hi Steve, I got the kit so I don't think Andy had to get anything additional. It was set up while I was away so I only saw the covered dome when I got home. The whole thing got wrapped in Pennsylvania red rock. Need to post pictures. I will check with the contractor to see if anything else was needed. They did use terracotta pipes for the chimney instead of the metal piece that came with the kit. Get in touch if you want to see it. I'm right off 248.

Comment

Hi Pat, thanks for the quick reply. Have you mastered the art of cooking pizza yet? It must be fun! Hopefully by August I'll be cooking too! I found a place in Collegeville down by Philly that has everything, insulation, firebrick mortar. Hopefully next week I can get materials to start the oven. Someday I'll have to stop by and check out your oven! Enjoy!

Comment

We have had so much fun trying things. Today was bread day but it's a little damp out so we can wait for the weekend.

We've tried all kinds of dough from Pillsbury cans to wegmans to trader joes to, the best, from scratch. Everything goes well until someone wants to pile on the toppings. So I have to say 'keep it simple' over and over.

The hardest part is getting the dough to stretch out and stay there. Been reading a lot about it and getting better.

The oven holds heat well so I have to plan on a roasting the next day. So far we've done a prime rib (my friend thought he was funny handing it to me for my first attempt--I didn't leave the oven!), big rolled pork shoulder to pull apart, ribs, three whole chickens at one time, butterflied lamb (least successful) and an apple pie.

Best dessert: Pillsbury crescent rolls (not low fat please) spread with mascarpone, sprinkled with shaved chocolate, add a strawberry half and roll. We put them on a pizza pan and it takes less than a minute in the oven.

Worst dessert: On a store bought tube of dough, the kids put broken up chocolate, red dots, sweet tarts, and fruit rollups on top. I rolled it up because I didn't want all that stuff running in the oven. People actually ate it. Or they took some and it landed in the garbage. Going to steer clear of candy pizza.

It would be nice to get together to share ideas. I mentioned to Don at Stravinos that they should start a group. He knows of someone in the valley who is doing a build.

Get in touch if you'd like to stop by. I plan to post pictures next week.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                        just signed onto the forum and was wondering if the showrooms listed by forno bravo have ovens on display for me to see. I am interested in the Toscano and the Artigiano models. I am located in lower bucks county and see there are a few places in jersey not far from me.
                        tom

Comment

Welcome Fire-n-smoke! I have never seen a showroom for ovens...

Comment

Originally posted by Dagored154 View Post
                            Are there any PA oven builders and users out there? I am in Perry county and am in the process of building.
                            I'm nearing completion of a 42" Pompeii WFO in NW Pa "Crawford County". The link to my photo album is below.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...nsylvania.html
                            Chris

Link to my photo album:
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Hodgey, Beautiful build !!! and nice job on the dome too (I wish my dome looked that good). I think 16 weeks is pretty respectable....mine took about 9 months to build (weekends and evenings). Once you have it fired up and making pizza's, and the roof is on, then the pressure is off so you can take your time dressing it up..

Comment

Working...
                              X