WFO use during the wintah~ in the Northeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WFO use during the wintah~ in the Northeast

Having difficulty with the thought of not firing up my WFO during the winter. I'm interested in hearing from folks in the Greater Boston Area who have a Primavera Oven or similiar dome style type oven and continue to use it all year. My goal is to continue cooking as much as possible throughout the winter. Would appreciate any input or feedback on the subject. Thanks.

Re: WFO use during the wintah~ in the Northeast

Hi Zeke,

Why would you not? Your oven is not a sentimental piece of elitist decoration, its a functioning tool which in earlier times would have been using almost daily, year round. It really make me smile to read how some pamper them(WFO) during curing using a single light bulb and such non sense. Its an oven, cure it with fire, sometime you get a crack, fill the crack, dont rebuild the oven. Some of these same people will insulate with air, bottles, sand, fiberglas. Each have insulation properties in different application and can not be applied across the board. One of the most enjoyable times for me is to use my oven when it snowing, feeling the heat on my chest and face smelling the aroma coming from whats ever being cooked, feeling somewhat primitive and tribal, ready to feed you family and friends and settle down for the day.

Comment

Thanks Laurentius! You are right! Sometimes the most complex problem can be handled by the simplest solution. Although the funniest thing happened yesterday, I awoke and fired up the oven and found my first fairly large crack. No biggie life goes on. Everything tasted just as incredible. My plan is to go full speed ahead through the New England winter. My neighbors will get some interesting aromas during the winter months thats for sure. Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
        Hi Zeke,

Why would you not? Your oven is not a sentimental piece of elitist decoration, its a functioning tool which in earlier times would have been using almost daily, year round. It really make me smile to read how some pamper them(WFO) during curing using a single light bulb and such non sense. Its an oven, cure it with fire, sometime you get a crack, fill the crack, dont rebuild the oven. Some of these same people will insulate with air, bottles, sand, fiberglas. Each have insulation properties in different application and can not be applied across the board. One of the most enjoyable times for me is to use my oven when it snowing, feeling the heat on my chest and face smelling the aroma coming from whats ever being cooked, feeling somewhat primitive and tribal, ready to feed you family and friends and settle down for the day.
        Wood fired oven makes man a philosopher.

We use our oven right through the winter and have recorded temperatures as low as +10 C (50 F) here.
        Last edited by david s; 09-23-2012, 01:21 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Why wouldnt you cook during the winter? Its the second best time of year....(fall is the best).

Laurentius....well said! I think 99.9% of the WFO builders feel the same passion. I agree with you about the snow...there is something very colonial about WFO cooking during snow.

Comment

No problem in Shelburne Vermont !

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post

We use our oven right through the winter and have recorded temperatures as low as +10 C (50 F) here.
              That's funny! It was 12 degrees last night and I just removed a pork roast that has been in for half the day - we got up to 34 degrees. Oh yea, it was snowing when I took it out.
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
              X