Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Have You Ever Tried Sycamore***

Hey All,
    I have a TON (literally) of Sycamore, This stuff burns great, but splitting it is tuffer than getting permission from your wife to buy a hot rod... It has been sitting in 16-20 inch logs over 2 years, I think I have about 12 of them..Thats just some of them in the pic... Once you get the wedge in, Its still tuff but a great workout. Guess I will wait till my nephew brings the logsplitter over..

Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM.

Re: ***Have You Ever Tried Sycamore***

I got a bunch of it already split but many of the pieces are too big for my wfo. It came from last year's storm damaged trees. It burns beautifully in my multi-fuel furnace to heat the house. It has a twisty turny grain structure that makes splitting almost impossible. They used to use sycamore for draw sides because it was very stable after it was sawn and dried. Once cut for furniture it looks great. Nice color and pattern. It almost seems like a waste to burn it because it looks go good cut up for projects.
    Bill

Comment

Re: ***Have You Ever Tried Sycamore***

Hey Bill...
      I have a bunch of it saved for projects, It has been drying in what I call my wood humidoor... Its a small sealed insulated cabinet with a fan to move the air and a standard light bulb for drying heat... It usually stays about 80 degrees in there.. I cut it into 6 inch square chunks about 2 feet long...

Here is a pic of a small shovel I carved out of it..

Mark
      Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X