Pompeii in Japan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii in Japan.

1/23/11, Finished my 42" oven which included curing and the next day was the official christen. We had pizza, smoked chicken and smoked roast beef. Yesterday my wife and daughter made peanut butter cookies and I baked them in the oven. Last week before the rendering was finished I baked 6 loaves of bread and delivery half loaves to my neighbors. Since the start of the build there has been a steady flow of people to see what going on and asking when is the pizza party, so Saturday my 25kg of Molino Caputo Sacco Rosso Tipo "00" arrived. No excuses, its time to don the aporon and spin the peel for real.

Re: Pompeii in Japan.

Great job.
    Now comes the enjoyment of it, maybe a little frustration.
    Good to see that you are getting the maximum out of it so early.
    Don't waste any of that stored heat.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I like how you've handled having the dome larger than the base. That's a clever way of making that transition.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

This came out of the oven this morning. Italian Sourdough. Feedback please.
        Last edited by Laurentius; 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Hey Laurentius, Great looking oven!!

I live in Hamamtsu-Shi in Shizuoka-ken and am planning to build a 36" oven and I have a few question regarding the materials you used.

Firstly what are the dimensions of the concrete blocks you used for the stand? I can't seem to find anything as wide as in the pompeii plans.

Secondly I read a few of your posts and you mentioned that you paid ?134 for firebrick sk-34. I have done a little searching in my area and most places are around ?250 for sk-34 or ?180 for sk-32. Where did you get your bricks?

Comment

Hi Samaraitsu-san,

I got my fire bricks from Joyful Honda, the blocks are standard Japanese Blocks with the recess space for rebar. In Japan the building code require that you mortar each of your blocks because of earthquakes. You need to contact a kiln building company to get your ceramic blankets and boards.

Comment

Hey Laurentius,

Thanks for the reply and your advice. I actually stumbled across joyful honda online whilst searching for firebricks but it's a bit far from here in Hamamatsu. However I did find sk-32 for ?120 which I guess are low duty but should do the job. One other question what was the name of the kiln and chimney company you got your stuff from?

Comment

Hi Laurentius and Samuraistu,

Given the castastrophic events of the last few days in your country, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hopefully you have not been affected like so many other unfortunate souls.

John

Comment

Hi Gianni,

Thanks for your concern. My family and I are fine as well as all of the people in my town. We were lucky, being a coastal on the side of the earthquake, the tsunami didn't affect us.
                  This morning from 6:30am to 10:00 am the city wil shut down power to conserve energy. Today they rescued a man drifting in the sea on a roof top, that was inspirational.

Comment

Morning: The Daily Yomiuri, newspapers headline.
                    "20,000 missing in 2 towns, Magnitude of Friday's quake revised upward to 9.0

Comment

Yeah thanks for your message Gianni,

My family and I live about 700km west from the epicenter so we are not affected. We did feel some tremors but not enough to cause any damage. We are all still in shock at the sheer extent of the devastation....it's crazy.

Comment

HI,
                        I'm just finishing a small cast in place oven here in Shiga-ken. I put the vermiculite insulation layer on today and want to get it rendered in a week or so. What did you use for yours? Is it holding up well in the weather and rain of Japan?
                        Also, how did you get the flour? I'm jealous.
                        Scott

Comment

Hi Tektonjp,

Good to hear from a fellow WFO builder from the Yakimono capital of Japan. No problams with my stucco yet, with a few typhoons and many hard rains under our belts. Need not be jealous, anything that I know is your, free for the asking. You can get 00 Molino Cuputo flour here. (m.saito@foodliner.co.jp)

Write and tell them what you are interested in and ask for their catalog and you are (In like Flint), if you don't understand this, it a generation thing.

Comment

So it's just regular stucco mix, then?
                            Thanks for the flour link. I'll check it out. I am hoping ot get my build pics up very soon. I was able to do 24" (60cm) cast in place for about 30,000 yen in materials (including base and insulation). I'm looking forward to the first pie!
                            I know Flint. I always wanted one of those watches that starts your heart back up!
                            Last edited by tektonjp; 09-09-2011, 09:07 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Yes, regular stucco, picked up from Joyful Honda. Looking forward to your photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X