Pompeii in Japan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pompeii in Japan.

Would love to see some pics, tektonjp. Hope everything has stabilized enough to finish your build. My 16yo daughter leaves for Osaka in a week (USA vs Japan 18u swim meet at the Osaka Dome).
    John

Comment

Hi John
      Still very very hot here in the Kansai area. Even hotter as I cured my vermiculite this evening. Whew. Got my thread up with some pics. Tell me what you think.
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/e...tml#post120550

Comment

jp,

Your oven reeks of a labor of love. Kudos: with a limited budget you are still making it happen. It just goes to show you that one can build an oven with a hand grinder. Depending on your wood source, I think with your 24" oven you will be inclined to cook outside (unless it's really pouring) often. I'm curious about two things. I wonder how long it's gonna take our oven to cure given the local humidity? And, are you brewing japanese-style lagers or something else? My wife already knows: the first thing I'm gonna do once the oven is completed is get my mash tun and fermenters out and rekindle the homebrew fire!

Thanks for sharing,
        John

Comment

Hi John,
          Since I am doing a cast in place, I researched and opted for using Asahi Casta (kasuta-). The price has gone up dramatically recently and I missed the boat there, but I have ended up using only two bags (under 10,000 yen) so that is good. The casting cement sets up over night and can be cured in with a slow one day process. It's really just the thing for a budget build, although it is actually 4,500 a bag.

I brew pretty much across the board in styles, though not too many big beers like stouts. I have a pale ale which will be cracked open along with the oven in the next week or two. And I am brewing a German Helles lager this weekend. I love brewing in the winter time, though, cause I can use my wood stove to help me heat up the water for free!

Comment

Have just returned from Japan, ten days at Nozawa Onsen skiing and four nights in Tokyo. Had a wonderful time. But what I really wanted to tell you was a great Australian product I've been using for about eight years now. I brew 3L of cider a week and there is no bottle washing. Check it out.

Oztops - Home
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hello Laurentius,

Seems like you have been absent from the forum for a while!

Since completing your WFO in 2011, have you made anything interesting in your oven?

How is it holding up to the crazy things nature dishes out? - typhoons, earthquakes, blizzards?

Earlier you posted photos of some sour bread loaves, have any current creations? or tips on duplicating your results for newbies?

Comment

HI mikku

Well I have a Japanese garden and have been researching shoji screens. I have found a great and simple source for screens so keep an eye on my thread for the cheats shoji screen.

It is so cool and will work a treat in the outdoor area I have constructed.
                Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Looking forward to seeing your Japanese garden and shoji screens. My garden is totally for vegetables and a few other plants. My moto, If you cannot eat it--it must be decoration and not worth the effort. My wife has a few special plants that she cares for but we plant mostly for our needs. Land is pretty pricy in these parts so I like to utilize what little resources we have to produce fresh veggies.

How will you be using shoji screens outdoors? Usually they are interior materials used the same as drapery but much more simple.

I had shoji in my home in the USA but they were fixed instead of being a sliding panel. Also, traditional shoji has a sheet that covers the framework that can be easily be damaged by water. The shoji that I made use a product called WARLON. The sheet is a fiberglas panel but looks like the traditional shoji kame (paper)--but this panel is waterproof. It comes with a price of about $30 for a 3x6 sheet. It is well worth the price--seems to last forever.

I have been accused of writing novels in my responses--so with that --I will say "The END"!

Comment

Working...
                  X