South Africa: Port Elizabeth - Pizza Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Africa: Port Elizabeth - Pizza Info

I will be in PE shortly. Anyone know any decent WF pizza restaurants there? I searched high and low the last time I was there and was not able to find anything remotely resembling authentic WF pizzas. Suggestions appreciated.

As a side note - I want to make some pizzas when I am staying with my dad. I will probably throw a pizza stone into my luggage but are key ingredients available there? I am thinking Roma tomatoes and mozarella cheese? Also, what about flour with a decent proteing level (around 11-12%)? Would prefer not to lug all that stuff over if it is locally available.
    / Rossco

Re: South Africa: Port Elizabeth - Pizza Info

Most you need should be available in SA even if then only in speciality stores. Gauteng where I stay is as far (or further?) from PE as Rome is from London so info from this side would not apply. Sorry?

Comment

Thanks Dolf.

My dad has been hunting around for ingredients and found most things so that is good.

Do you know what the preferred flour is for pizza use over there? I have seen quite a few at P&P but don't know their protein content. Perhaps a plain flour would be the best?
      / Rossco

Comment

I will see if I can get answers from some local shops. Off hand I have no clue. With the health food fad being so alive & well places like Discem sells the weirdest kinds of flour with and without whatever, so I am sure if you have a fancy you should find a corner. :-)

Comment

Thanks - and what about pizza stones? Clicks P&P perhaps??

Now for toppings I am thinking something traditional like smiley with bobotie topped with some mielies. How does that sound to you?
          / Rossco

Comment

Dont laugh, but despite all the great efforts of many, a good quality straight Margaretha is still my favourite followed by 4 Cheeses :-)

Comment

Ag no - so I can't even interest you in a walkie-talkie pizza topped with slap chips? Four cheeses? Are you a cheese-a-holic or something?

BTW I am chewing away on some peri-peri droewors ... which gives me an idea for another topping...

Well, how about biltong and monkey-gland sauce? If that doesn't get your taste buds excited then nothing will!!!!!
              / Rossco

Comment

Have packed in a pizza stone and will get my ingredients when I arrive in PE. My dad mentioned that Roma tomatoes in cans are freely available as it mozarella cheese there so that's good.

The big question now is what sort of flour is available? I'm assuming Sasko/SA Milling make high protein flour suitable for pizzas and bread. What do the commercial guys use?
                / Rossco

Comment

I did ask at a francise over the weekend, but they get pre-mixed stuff from thier franchisor so the content is not specified. That saib, I am not concerned about flour availability. If you look at Snowflake Baking Inspirations you will see they specifically mention "High protien flour" and mention "Wheat flour provides vital gluten to breads and pizza dough"
                  Not having the Italian product to compare with its tough to guarantee, but I would be surprised if you do not come right.

Comment

Looks like the white bread flour will probably do the trick - not sure how high the protein level is but if it's good enough for making bread it should be OK for pizza and some of the speciality breads...
                    / Rossco

Comment

Did a quick check of pizza places in the area and zippo!! Even Phat Bazzas is no more. Only lasted 6 months! St Elmos in Walmer Park is evidently the "best" around but they used canned tomato paste for sauce and over top making for a soggy base. I dont believe that there is a woodfired place nearby.... So ... Time to make my own.

I popped into P&P and bought some mozarella, canned romas, bacon, basil, instant yeast and bread flour. Bread flour works into quite a nice dough though it seems to be quite a coarse ground.

I made 3 pizzas last night and they went down very well here at my dads place. Will leave the recipe for him and he will hopefully have a go making his own. Had to improvise with a plank of wood to load pizzas onto the stone in the oven but overall i was happy with the results. Would probably give the pizzas about 6/10. Sorry no pics of my African pizzas but i will probably do another batch before i leave and will try and post pics then..
                      Last edited by heliman; 06-26-2010, 06:18 PM.
                      / Rossco

Comment

Had another bash at pizzas with SA available ingredients Rosco? I'm curious to know what can be done. If the masters only manage 6/10 what can a zero baked before guy like me expect...

Comment

Will probably head over to SAf again in May next year and will likely have another go at baking some pizza then. Ingredients, particularly mozarella cheese was very expensive though so will have to plan the bake carefully.
                          / Rossco

Comment

Thanks. Please keep us posted on your plans. Yea the cheese is expensive and not a negotiable ingredient :-(

Comment

Sounds good.

Hopefully by then your WFO will be ready and I will be invited over for a dop, braai and pizza ;-)
                              / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                              X