Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Central Texas (DFW) -Where to buy pizza and bread ingredients?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Central Texas (DFW) -Where to buy pizza and bread ingredients?

Looking for good flour, tomato sources in the DFW area -Looking for sources offering premium pizza and baking ingredients. I'm in the Granbury/Cleburne area. Anybody have some good information?
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Re: North Central Texas (DFW) -Where to buy pizza and bread ingredients?

Is there a Central Market nearby? And after you try all the premium DOP 'maters, buy some buck a can HEB brand and try them. They are better, if for no other reason than they are certainly fresher.

Comment

Oh yeah, Central Market makes fresh Moz almost every day here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        Oh yeah, Central Market makes fresh Moz almost every day here.
        Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        Is there a Central Market nearby? And after you try all the premium DOP 'maters, buy some buck a can HEB brand and try them. They are better, if for no other reason than they are certainly fresher.
        That sounds too easy

There is a Market in North Fort Worth, about an hour away from us. I'll check it out, thanks!
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I have not verified yet but I did hear that "Whole Foods" is a source.

Comment

Originally posted by mn8tr View Post
            I have not verified yet but I did hear that "Whole Foods" is a source.
            Thanks, we will be on the lookout for a Whole Foods store....We only go to town once every week or two though

Go Big Red, will be watching Dec 30 @ 9PM
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Went to whole foods Tuesday and found "Zilch" I may have to order on line. I also might try to find a restaurant supply company locally. I finally finished my build, we may add a few additional details down the road but "she is done."

Comment

Originally posted by mn8tr View Post
                Went to whole foods Tuesday and found "Zilch" I may have to order on line. I also might try to find a restaurant supply company locally. I finally finished my build, we may add a few additional details down the road but "she is done."

Congratulations on your banner day! A nice yard....Bet that pool is nice when its over 100 degrees....Oven looks like it grew there.
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

It may be too far for you but I go to Jimmy's Food Store in East Dallas every couple of weeks for my supplies. They have the kilo packages of Caputo 00 flour, fresh mozzerella made daily (get there early or it will be gone) and a really good selection of meats, cheeses and imported oils and tomatoes. They have giant blocks of parmesan and romano ( i like the locatelli romano), home made Italian sausage and home made meatballs. The spicy Italian sausage is great, really spicy. The scarmorza is really good too (sort of like smoked mozzerella) and they also have buffalo mozz.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Forbes View Post
                    It may be too far for you but I go to Jimmy's Food Store in East Dallas every couple of weeks for my supplies. They have the kilo packages of Caputo 00 flour, fresh mozzerella made daily (get there early or it will be gone) and a really good selection of meats, cheeses and imported oils and tomatoes. They have giant blocks of parmesan and romano ( i like the locatelli romano), home made Italian sausage and home made meatballs. The spicy Italian sausage is great, really spicy. The scarmorza is really good too (sort of like smoked mozzerella) and they also have buffalo mozz.
                    Thanks Ken. I will get up there some time. Its about 80 miles from here. Sounds like an unusual place
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Another good choice is to find a good WFO pizzaria and explain your situation to the owner. He will almost certainly be willing to sell you flour. OTOH, there are a number of us that simply don't find 00 all that miraculous and are quite happy with KA. This weekend I am going to make my first pies from my (for me) new organic flour from War Eagle Mills in Arkansas. Has exceptional aroma and flavor - clearly a lot fresher (but not green) than grocery store bagged flour. (As an aside, I bought 70 pounds of organic AP, BF, and stone ground WW and white WW for about just over $100 with free shipping when they had a 20% off sale last month.)

Good Luck!
                      Jay

Comment

Greetings...

I have been following the flour thread with great interest.
                        Before my wreck 10 years ago I bought 50 Lb bags of high glutin Pizza flour from Roma Italian restaurant supply in N. Ft. Worth for $8.50 per 50 Lb bag.
                        I would use 50 Lbs of flour in 6 months in Pizza only and I live alone. That's 100 Lbs per year, 8.3 Lbs a month! It's a lotta Pizza.
                        Now I am disabled and am real poor and make Pizza from Pillsbury all purpose flour. Hmmm
                        At Romas High glutin has gone up to $12.50 now and the gas prices have made the trip expensive. {They don't sell to the public but stores only so make up a fake name and tax number, they just ask you to write it down. [ie. Joes grocery, 2222-245-3776] {Look at the tax number on the wall at any little store and get the order of the numbers, 4,3,3, like that and change the numbers, they don't care but just want to be legal}

I have been on a serious flour quest for the last ten years. Not using that much flour because I am down 36 Lbs and can't afford that much cheese or propane to cook Pizza with either. I still like my Pizza and have been making Pizza from scratch for 35 years. {Made one last night, I took garlic powder, brown sugar, oregano and a little salt and after hydrating it in the flour bowl, adding oil and flour} I asked the {actually the same name} 'Roma' Pizza place in Lancaster if they would sell 50 Lbs of flour and they said yes! That was several years ago and I just can't seem to come up with $12.50 + a nice tip for them as they would be saving me an all day trip to N. Ft Worth every year. Can't afford any beer either.

But thank you Ken Forbes for mentioning Jimmy's food store over by Gaston and Baylor Hospital because I go there all the time! 2.4 Lb bags of
                        {I assume 00 = high glutin} flour in Dallas over by the Hospital is good news.
                        But still I hope to get a 50 Lb bag from Roma up in Lancaster too. It always stored well in the big bags but I think I'll buy some big tupper ware storage containers for the flour. Thank you Ken Forbes and everybody here for all the great information. My Pizza flour quest may be drawing to a close. Now I gotta go get me a beer...

7:31 am... I think I'll get two!

Jack the Knife
                        Sandy may and Duke dog
                        Last edited by jacktheknife; 10-19-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X