Central Va

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Va

I am looking to build and hoping I can find some locals on the board that can share their experiences, contractors or ideas.

Thank you

Re: Central Va

I'm south west Virginia. I live near Christiansburg, how about you? Your more then welcome to come an look at my oven and talk about your build. Let me know, Faith

Comment

I'm in Charlottesville, Virginia and built a Pompeii brick oven about 2 years ago.
      I use it about 1/week.

Happy to give advice to anyone considering the same thing.
      I love the oven but as with all my projects there are plenty of "I wish I had.." that someone else can benefit from!

Jason

Comment

Sorry I am late with a reply, ndh.

I am in Harrisonburg. If you are close to me you can come check out my oven if you would like. I am curing and framing, dome is finished, as I write this.

Obviously I am taking a break at the moment and not doing all three of those things at once.

Let me know.

David
        "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

I am from Harpers Ferry WV and am researching the build of a WFO. I purchased a book to hopefully give me some insight.

I hope to start in the Spring 2013. Any workshops in the area?

Comment

Origionally posted by hikergurl

I am from Harpers Ferry WV and am researching the build of a WFO. I purchased a book to hopefully give me some insight.

I hope to start in the Spring 2013. Any workshops in the area?
            I am sure that there are a lot of great WFO books out there on the market. I have seen builders led astray (by some books) with no or minimal insulation under the hearth bricks and dome, though .

You have came to the right site for a correct start .

Download the Free WFO Plans from Forno Bravo, do plenty of research, and your oven will perfect.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf!!

I have read about the insulating layer under the hearth bricks, something about glass bottles??? I better start saving my wine bottles!! haha. My book should arrive in a few days so I will check to make sure that there is something in regards to that subject.

Comment

Originally posted by hikergurl View Post
                Thanks Gulf!!

I have read about the insulating layer under the hearth bricks, something about glass bottles??? I better start saving my wine bottles!! haha. My book should arrive in a few days so I will check to make sure that there is something in regards to that subject.
                I like cooking with wine... sometimes I even put it in the food.

Wine bottles do not create good insulation but they are great for getting the wine to the glass. Use ceramic board, foamglas, vermicrete or a combination of the above as under floor insulation. and make sure the firebrick only touches insulation and nothing else.

The Bread Builders is a great book for bread but not for modern efficient oven building.

Chip
                Chip

Comment

Hey, hikergurl.

I am not too far below you in Harrisonburg. You are more than welcome to come see my oven and ask any questions you want.

Download the free, I love that word, plans here on Forno bravo. After reasearching the building process for a few years, took me a while to get going, I think they are the best out there.

No glass for insulation. Like Chip said use ceramic fiber board, foamglass, vermicrete or calcium silicate board. You will be much happier if you do this under your oven.

There are plenty of build threads on here to study. Start looking at what others have done and steal their ideas. I have no doubt it will turn out very well for you.

Let me know if you need anything.

David

I also have some left over material for the homebrew mortar if you would want it. Not enough for an entire oven but definitely enough to get you going. Plus I know where you can get supplies very close to you up in Martinsburg.

Comment

Hi David
                    I have been to Harrisonburg a few times. I love the Artful Dodger not sure it is still there in town and it has been a few years since I have been jeep trailing there.

Thanks for the info on the glass bottles. ) I hope to start building the oven in the Spring when it warms up. This way I can gather supplies and ideas on how I would like the oven set up etc. That is awesome that you know of a supplier in Martinsburg.

This weekend Harpers Ferry National Park had there oven going but I was with my puppy and didn't get to check it out...

I am excited to start researching and planning.

Hikergurl

Comment

Read, read and then read some more. Make a plan for your oven. Everything you need is right here on Forno Bravo. The people on here will help with any questions you have.

I started mine in the spring and am almost finished now. I would be farther but I had sooooo much rain this year. Rest of the country was dry as could be and I was drowning.

The Artful Dodger is still here along with a few new places that are pretty good. Let me know if you need anything or if you want the supplies. Actually, if anyone near here wants the supplies they are free. Just let me know

David
                      Last edited by Dino69; 11-06-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X