Hello from Western N.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Western N.C.

Just wanted to say hi. I plan to start my WFO build this spring and can't wait to get going. Carl
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Re: Hello from Western N.C.

Welcome aboard NCMan, Can't wait too see what your planning. You have found the right place for ideas instruction and support. I began my build about a year ago, I could have not gotten this far without everyone's support.(I work very slowly) The forum has been a great tool. Once you said your hello's, I suggest starting a thread on what your planning, And I'm sure many will help you get started toward on your goal.

Good Luck
    Last edited by kbartman; 01-11-2014, 06:57 PM.
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Thanx, kbartman. My build won't be near as elaborate as some on here, due to a lack of space, time and....money. I do have a masonry background, but none w/WFO's. Love this site and enjoyed looking over your build. I will be sure to take lots of photos and then work on setting up a thread, etc. Carl
      My Build:

Comment

What's your idea as to size, type, material for the oven? What about finishes?.. Enclosure, igloo, or ?.....
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Also, if you have a masonry background, you might have enough laying around to do the job. Almost all the stone and brick I used came from other projects and I cobbled them together. Surely you have material laying around?
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Hi John. I do a pretty good job of using up materials from jobs. I have a few cinder blocks, a bit of rebar, and probably enough of the stone to do what I need. I'm not sure what you call these stone, but it's like creek stone/river rock. For the most part, I need to buy what I need. As for design, etc, I'm open, but I do want to do maybe a 36" round. I loved your arch on your build w/the brick. Do you get up this way much or will it be after you move? Love to get some ideas, etc. A lot of people will be seeing this oven and I'd love it to be an eyecatcher, plus, hopefully, I can gain enough confidence and experience to build them for others. I have no doubt whatsoever that I will have people wanting them built. That'd be great. I love doing this type of work.
            My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
              Hi John........
              NCMan, John Ruskin was a genius..I just stole a quote of his. My name is Matt.

Do you get up this way much or will it be after you move? Love to get some ideas, etc. A lot of people will be seeing this oven and I'd love it to be an eyecatcher, plus, hopefully, I can gain enough confidence and experience to build them for others. I have no doubt whatsoever that I will have people wanting them built. That'd be great. I love doing this type of work.
              I'm not sure when I will up there next. I have a bid in on a stone project, but even if that doesn't happen then we will be up a couple times before we relocate. But once you get underway, I can try to swing by if you want.

Put your thoughts on your thread, almost everyone here is helpful and encouraging, and are willing to share ideas and suggestions.

As far as offering WFO building as a service, as I said before, you should build a few before you do that. I had the privilege to help build and rebuild a bunch of historic beehive ovens ( most had a hemispherical dome, a couple more elliptical...I can't remember how many exactly.) and that was 5 or 6 years before I built my first freestanding oven. There was nowhere to get information...it was all learn on the job. This forum and the popularity of WFO cooking the last 5-8 years has flooded the internet with info, some great, some good, some bad. There is no replacement for experience, and a one-off isn't going to give that to you, because every clients desire, location and a million other variables, are different.

Just a suggestion and IMO.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Matt.....I understand and agree. Problem is, I have no other way to get that experience, but to build my own and possibly build another for a friend or two. W/my background, I should be fine. I have no other choice, really. When I see what a lot of the folks have done on here, in some cases w/no experience at all, I am amazed. Anytime I could get around guys like you or have access to others that have "been there, done that", it has to help. If you ever need some help once you get up here, maybe I can stop by and help sling some mud. Carl
                My Build:

Comment

Maybe I will take you up on that. I want to build at least a 42" oven.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Love to help. Just let me know.
                    My Build:

Comment

Love to help. Just let me know.
                      Realistically, you will be building yours before I break ground on mine.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Probably so, but it all depends how much time I'll be able to work on my oven. If I get busy w/work, it'll go slow. Plus, I've gotten some good 'ol fashioned pick and shovel work to do w/the excavation. I'm kind of digging into a bank to build it. I had the shovel out yesterday, poking around. Also have a good sized rock to move by hand. So, it'll be slow going here for a bit. In the meantime, I'm going to look into how to post photos on here. Have a good one.
                        My Build:

Comment

W/the half decent weather we've had, I went out yesterday and started scratching around and trying to visualize things a bit. It sure is nice having what I consider to be a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw from here on this Forum. Love it. Thanks to all who contribute. It is appreciated.
                          My Build:

Comment

Working...
                          X