Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating fire bricks/ LA area

Hi,

Where can I find some insulating fire bricks in L.A.? I need only a few pieces for use in and around the entry/vent area.

Thanks,
    George
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Re: Insulating fire bricks/ LA area

By insulating, I'm assuming you want the "light ones?" Lugana Clay has them via will-call. Otherwise, if you want the 8 lb ones, I have about 20 left in my backyard that you can have.

Comment

Hello echopark,

Yes, I'm talking about the light ones. Is this the Laguna Clay located in the City of Industry?

And I'll be more than happy to take those left over bricks from you. I could definitely use them as I have not purchased any firebricks yet. I will check out West LA Building Supplies as you suggested several weeks ago.
      And thank you for the offer!

George
      George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

yep: you can call in an order and pick it up next day. Pretty sure that the part you want is is: RF-426 Soft Straight K-26 2600 $4.15 each. Catalog page is: http://www.lagunaclay.com/catalog/pdf/lcc_refract.pdf

Comment

Yes, that's it. I just need a dozen of those. I plan on using them for my very shallow entry and would like to be able to apply SBC stucco directly to them.

I noticed they have 2 & 3 lb soft bricks. I wonder how much softer or fragile the 2 lb bricks are.
          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

I'm not sure, but the really soft ones can be cut with a regular crosscut (wood) saw

Comment

the really soft ones can be cut with a regular crosscut (wood) saw
              You're better off using a drywall saw, they have carbide teeth and will last more than a couple of cuts.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

"Where can I find some insulating fire bricks in L.A.? "

Check the local pottery stores, clubs. They use them to make their kilns. You can probably score some free ones from someone who is dismantling a kiln (for some reason they are always dismantling and re constructing their kilns).

I used them to create a heat break between the inner and outer opening.

Comment

You might give McGill's Warehouse a try, as they are not too far from you. I have never bought from them but have talked to a sales guy on the phone. They have a $50 minimum, but lots of cool stuff.

Their 9x4.5x2.5" brick price is listed as $3.30. Their 9x4.5x3" brick is listed at $3.84. Their pallet (480 pcs) cost is listed at $1.38 ea. for the 2.5"'s.

Their address is: 7121 Radford Ave Los Angeles, CA 91605

Web Store

Comment

GF...........thanks so much for that above link. They're located very close and they seem to carry everything I need, including the blankets. I will give them a call today.

George
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Working...
                    X