Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ovencrafter workshop in Port Townsend, WA

Hi Everyone,
    We're just at the talking stage of getting a workshop together to participate in a build out of a 4x6 Ovencrafter oven at a local farm in Port Townsend, WA.
    The folks at Ovencrafter are up for it, so it's up to us to figure out when and get the people.

If you'd like to get on the email list, send me a private message, email me at rfin88 @ gmail.com, or just post here and I'll get back to you as we get the scheduling and pricing figured out.

It could be a great way to go home with a set of plans and lots of good hands on experience with some real pros so you can make those plans a reality.

Everything from building to bread making will be covered inf a 3 or 4 day workshop.

If we get 20 folks quickly, we might do it before the weather turns, maybe by late October.
    Let me know if you're interested in learning more.
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest Timbers

Re: Ovencrafter workshop in Port Townsend, WA

Rob, I don't know that I can make it, but I'd like to be kept in the loop.

Thanks

Chris

PS Nice product in the PNT site. Is this you? If so, It looks like you do work all over the west coast.

Comment

Hi Chris, You're in the loop.
      PNT is the new reclaimed wood yard in Port Townsend for Crossroads, which is in North Fork, CA.
      We've got lots of cool wood we come by all sorts of ways. There's a huge mahogany timber in the yard right now that was used as ballast in the sailing ships way back when. Plus 3x6x10' redwood barrel staves, old growth doug fir planking and timbers, teak, borneo ironwood, a big load of reclaimed cedar coming in soon, and the list goes on and on.
      PNT is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council which qualifies our wood for US Green Building Council LEED projects. All to say it's cool stuff and THE wood to use if someone is going green and needs good strength and beauty out of their wood. No wonderbread wood here. It's all very tight grained old growth rescued before it became landfill.
      Rob

Comment

Back in 72 I helped do a remodel on an old retail furniture building, we took out a mezzanine and the floor joists were spectacular. Clear, straight, tight grain DF. I started to put together a farm table but didn't get it finished... :-(

I've regretted that for nearly 40 years.. I honestly don't know how I could have moved it around and needs change but the wood was spectacular. I guess it was harvested in 1910 to somewhere around 1920.

I may have use of some of your recycled lumber. Can I save a bit by picking it up here if you have a SoCal project?

Chris
        Last edited by SCChris; 08-31-2010, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Hi Chris,
          Hmmm, I guess wood talk in a wood fired oven forum is on topic.
          Yes, we have a yard in North Fork, CA that has a huge stock.
          Just let me know what you're interested in and I'll pont you to it.
          Rob

PS The biggest reclaimed haul I know of was the Longview Lumber mill in Vancouver, WA. 4 million bf of tight grain, no knot doug fir timbers used to build 100' x 1200' drying sheds. Clear spans up to 80'.
          Billy Gates bought it all for his beach shack on Lake Washington. He used 350,000bf and the rest was sold off to us wood rats.
          R

Comment

If you were closer to home, I'd arrange to pick up your scraps for fuel or other assorted projects. I need to put together a DF pergola or two and a teak bench. I keep thinking that I'll run across a building teardown and can save some old rafters or joist. I often see recycled wood on trucks running south to Mexico.

Thanks Rob.

Chris

Comment

I just joined, because I am getting ready to build an oven here in Bonney Lake. Would really like to attend the seminar to see what is going on and meet some other like minded people. When I started talking about building this thing a few months ago, I just got weird looks from my fiends.

Comment

Working...
              X