Ovens in Idaho?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ovens in Idaho?

I know there are a few of us from Idaho on Forno Bravo but I want to get an idea of just how many. Chime in with your location and where you are at in the process.

I am in the Idaho Falls area and am still just lurking and planning. I have my IT already made (thanks to a local high school welding class) and I am looking at other tools and supplies.

Hope to hear from all of you Idahoans out there.

Nate
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Re: Ovens in Idaho?

Up here in the Pan Handle. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you're itching to get started

Comment

Hey Pdiff,

Nice to hear from you. I saw on FB that there is a new restaurant with a WFO up in CDA. Do you know of it or have you been to it?

I have been up to your neck of the woods a few times and it is GORGEOUS up there. Your pics make me want to head up there again soon. Maybe next year.

Nice work on the oven and YES I am itching to get started. How did you know?

Nate

Comment

Yes, I've heard of the CDA restaurant, but have not been there. We're supposed to be getting one in Moscow soon. They have been working on it for quite some time (I think doing most of the work themselves which is slower). Supposedly went for VPN training and certification in CA, but not sure if FB is involved in that or equipment. I will be interested in checking it out. Will try to remember the CDA restaurant too when we get up that way.

If you are up this way again, let me know. I get down to Pocatello about once a year myself, but we are about as far apart as possible, within the bounds of ID .

If you are thinking about building and it's Feb, then you know the "season" is almost here, so you are already contemplating when you'll be able to sink a shovel into the ground . Been there, done that. Am doing that myself now wondering when I can start putting the concrete top on the bar and finishing the stucco.

Comment

Yes, I have been thinking a lot about the fast-approaching "season". In fact, with as mild of a winter as we have had this year and how warm it has been lately I have even considered going out now and starting the slab at least. Speaking of slabs, what did you do for yours? Did you put in any footings or just do a slab on grade? A friend of mine who has a masonry business said I should go down at least 36" if it will be a weight-bearing slab. Thoughts?

Comment

I would think that 3' is a bit of overkill. I don't know your soil/climate conditions, though. Where I am, we have 2' of clay loam which sits on a foot thick layer of highly compacted volcanic ash clay. That layer is stone hard and rarely softens with moisture. Hence, we get a lot of lateral water flow in the top two feet of soil in the spring. Even with that, I've poured many slabs here and have never done more than 1' deep. On the oven and bar, I dug 1' down from the grade surface. I then packed/compacted gravel to a depth of 6". The pads (6"), with rebar, were poured on top of that. I have had no freeze thaw problems, shifting or cracking. Your friend is probably thinking about a house or similar which would require more substantial footings. You may have local codes to follow as well. If you start asking around locally, tell them you are working on a small shed or outbuilding to get them away from dwelling type specs. My guess is 6-8" of compacted gravel would be sufficient, but your mileage may vary.

My build ...

Comment

Wow, nice oven Nate!

I'm in Boise and just seeing if anyone is down this way, or reading this thread anymore. I am still planning but would love to have one up and running this summer...

Comment

Hey Mikey

Welcome to the group and thanks for the comments about my oven. I still have a ways to go but the oven is getting plenty of use.

I saw at least two ovens from your side of the state but I have no idea if they still get on here. Good luck with your build.

Nate

Comment

Working...
                X