Oven in the northwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven in the northwest

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and hoping to start a build on a Pompeii oven sometime in the near future. My question for you guys is, anyone out there build an oven out here in the land of the rain? Any tips, hits, or general suggestions? I'm not a very experienced builder but I know people who are and are willing to help. I guess I just want to know if I can get dry wood, and the best way to keep it dry. Also, anyone ever build some sort of canopy over their oven to keep out the rain? I would suppose you would some how need to allow your chimney through the canopy.

Well thanks guys!

Re: Oven in the northwest

There are several builders up in the PNW. Rain can cut into your construction, but during the early work you can cover it with an EZ-up or other cover.

Putting a chimney through the roof of a ramada or gazebo is just like any other hole--flash it and seal it. And make sure the chimney doesn't get too hot where it penetrates. One of the more experienced builders on here has photos of his project that goes through the roof of his house. I don't recall ehich builder, but you can probably find it with a search.

Comment

Definitely plan for some covered wood storage away from the oven area for your main supply as well as enough wood storage near the oven for at least a couple of bakes/pizza parties. We have been able to enjoy using our oven all year round by putting it under an 18'x18' screened "room"...not only keeps off the winter & spring rain, but keeps away the summer & fall mosquitoes and yellow jackets. I highly recommend a screened enclosure if you can swing it...construction parties with your friends work pretty well when the promise of "real" pizza is offered.

We're south of you about 180 miles in Roseburg so our rainfall and yours are pretty similar. Rain shelters are relatively easy construction projects and since our temps are usually pretty mild, you don't have to make 'em heated and water tight to enjoy a lot of days during the year outside with your WFO. There are quite a few successful builds on Vancouver Island (B.C.) posted in the forum and they get quite a bit more rain than either of us will ever see.

One of your main concerns is going to be wind coming down the gorge...make sure you build the oven so that it faces away from the "normal" wind direction as much as possible.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Its good to know others have had success out here. Now I have two obstacles left in my way... Money... Which leads to the next one, my wife . Has anyone purchased their own materials instead of the kit? Did you save any money, or was it too much of a headache to find the right materials?

Ciao!

Comment

Available kit/modular ovens are well worth the money and the available free "do it yourself" plans are really, really good. Many of the folks in this forum have built ovens by buying/scavenging bricks and all the other materials required either because kits were not available or they wanted to actually create these wonderful ovens from the ground up.

A wood fired oven is a serious investment in both time and money but as you will find reading through this forum, regrets are rare. My wife was not really into my idea of building the oven until we actually talked about making "The Dragonfly Den" a place that we could use frequently to have good eats & gatherings with friends. Now that we have had the working oven/den for over two years, neither of us can come up with anything we would have done differently except building it bigger!

You will love it...but it's kinda like having kids...a constant effort, a lot of time and money, trying at times, but long term--well worth it.
          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well said! Well thanks for all your input, when i am able to start I will be sure to post about it.

Comment

Working...
            X