Hot Crab Dip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Crab Dip

We cooked this recently in the oven entry (sorry, no photo ? it disappeared too fast!), in an earthenware dish, while firing the oven for pizza. Really easy, really tasty.
    If you try it, remember to turn the dish now and then for more even cooking.

Hot Crab Dip

8 oz. cream cheese, softened at room temp
    ? cup mayonnaise (the real stuff, NOT Miracle Whip)
    1 tsp. Dijon mustard
    ? tsp. horseradish
    ? tsp. green Tabasco sauce (or your favourite hot pepper sauce)
    juice of ? a lemon
    salt & pepper, to taste
    2 cans crab meat (120g / 4 oz size), drained
    ? cup cheddar cheese, grated (I?m betting many other types would also work)
    ? cup parmesan (I just used the cheapo stuff for this)

In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients, blending well.
    Gently fold in the crab meat, cheddar and parmesan.
    Spoon mixture into a shallow baking dish.

Bake - the recipe says at 350F, for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Ours was hot and bubbly in about half that time and beautifully browned on top.

Dip in with some nice bread ? if you baked it yourself in your oven, even better! But crackers or corn chips work just fine too.

Enjoy!

Sarah

Re: Hot Crab Dip

I've been cooking more in the doorway to the oven when the fire is heating the dome, as well. I find a cast iron pan sitting next to the fire will easily top brown appetizers, or crisp pork products for pizza use without stinking up the kitchen.

The dip sounds good.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Good place to roast peppers as well!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
        We cooked this recently in the oven entry (sorry, no photo ? it disappeared too fast!), in an earthenware dish, while firing the oven for pizza. Really easy, really tasty.
        If you try it, remember to turn the dish now and then for more even cooking.

Hot Crab Dip

8 oz. cream cheese, softened at room temp
        ? cup mayonnaise (the real stuff, NOT Miracle Whip)
        1 tsp. Dijon mustard
        ? tsp. horseradish
        ? tsp. green Tabasco sauce (or your favourite hot pepper sauce)
        juice of ? a lemon
        salt & pepper, to taste
        2 cans crab meat (120g / 4 oz size), drained
        ? cup cheddar cheese, grated (I?m betting many other types would also work)
        ? cup parmesan (I just used the cheapo stuff for this)

In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients, blending well.
        Gently fold in the crab meat, cheddar and parmesan.
        Spoon mixture into a shallow baking dish.

Bake - the recipe says at 350F, for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Ours was hot and bubbly in about half that time and beautifully browned on top.

Dip in with some nice bread ? if you baked it yourself in your oven, even better! But crackers or corn chips work just fine too.

Enjoy!

Sarah
        OMG you are such a saint! If only you knew how much I want this recipe! My mom has the same recipe but when she gives it to me she always gets something wrong, and if you've made this enough you know how easy it is to get wrong. At one point I had her faxing it to me and she was so determined to get it to me but her fax machine is filthy so each time she'd send it I'd get about 20% of it and I'd freak out on my fax machine/cleaning it like mad. This recipe is the reason I ended up trying internet fax (a very good thing in the long run) and why I'm not allowed to 'try' anything any more.

Have you tried using the baked dip in freshly baked/crisp'd buns? The name of this is killing me. I just asked two co-workers what that sandwich is called and they all came back with "gross-wich?" and "I'd call it EWWWW".

There's a local restaurant that makes them and it's a house speciality, I go by them all the time, but I can't remember what they are called.. Aaagggh!

I can't brain today, I have the dumb!

Thanks again Sarah!
        Reduce, reuse, recycle your old fax machine in favor of an internet fax service.

Comment

A saint ... wow, it's been a long time - if ever! - since anyone called me that!!
          Anyway, glad to help and, if you tried it, I hope it lived up to your expectations.

Sarah

Comment

Working...
          X