Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef Jerky

Sorry removed
    Last edited by Karangi Dude; 07-15-2013, 05:50 PM.
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Re: Beef Jerky

oh man, fresh jerky AND Ossobucco the same day. Damn you I say! My wife does not care for either (something about the time and energy being to great for both) Butit is my time and energy......she still shoots me down . I need to enlist a neighbor who enjoys both, maybe then I can try it. How about sendng over the leftovers?

RT

Comment

Forgive my ignorance here, any food poisoning risks with drying it out like that? (assume usual good hygiene practices are followed)? Jerky is great

Comment

I make the South African version of jerky "biltong" using a cardboard box with air holes punched into the side and adding a 25 watt light bulb and an old computer fan to circulate the air. Should be ready in about 3-5 days. I have never heard of anyone making this stuff in an oven...
        / Rossco

Comment

What is abc sauce?

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
            Another batch of Beef Jerky

We have been making it every now and then, it does not seem to last long as my Family and I enjoy it a lot especially when having a cold ale.

This batch has ABC sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, Ground Cummin, Ground Pepper, Salt and Honey
            Bloody hell, I've GOT to try this, I haven't had jerky in years!
            Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Your jerky looks delicious Doug. May I ask which cut of meat you use for your jerky?

Comment

i've made jerky for years on a weber grill.. just a small fire with about 8 briquets and a handful of smoking chips.. i use the leanest, cheapest cut of beef that i can find, usually a round roast. string the strips on bamboo skewers and hang them inside the grill.

Comment

If you put some hot coals in a coffee tin punched with holes and then throw in some smoking chips you can impart some smokey flavour while the meat dries.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks Polo,

The cut of beef here in Australia is called Topside is has very little fat.
                    You can use any cut but why waste a good grilling steak on jerky.
                    Polo you need meat without any fat, a little marbling is ok, so trim off any fat, you also need to cut the beef across the grain not down the grain as it becomes to chewy.
                    Thanks for the tips Doug. I'll be experimenting soon. Maybe I'll try some venison. Not much fat in that.

Comment

Polo,
                      Venison, rabit, goat, kangaroo, crocadile, beef, lamb, they all work well as jerky.
                      Karangi Dude,

When I went to the butcher to ask for kangaroo, and crocodile he thought I was nuts.

We had our first snow last night 8 CM and a low of -10C.

Chip
                      Last edited by mrchipster; 11-20-2011, 07:48 AM.
                      Chip

Comment

Sorry to hear that Chip,

It's 10.30am here on the coast and about 28c,

Chip you could always pick up some road kill (just kidding) venison would be the go though.
                        It is deer hunting season here and my wife just told me that her brothers bagged 17 deer this weekend, Good hunting here.

OH, BTW the high today got up to -4C

Chip
                        Last edited by mrchipster; 11-20-2011, 04:28 PM.
                        Chip

Comment

Working...
                        X