TAPAS...Tomato, Basil with Goat Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAPAS...Tomato, Basil with Goat Cheese

Thanks James, I believe that we can come up with some nice appetizer recipes.....

Tapas, or toppings are the little Spanish dishes that you can enjoy as an appetizer with a drink or have a few to make a meal. It's a tradition in Spain that started with a tapa (topping) on top of your drink, vino o cerveca....anyway they came with a few almonds, a few olives, a few apricots...whatever they had available....and they were free....(with the drink)

Okay, that's harder to find now but this week we had a plate of nuts at one place and a plate of potatoe chips served at another with our red wine. That's a tapa. Now they're an institution the world over....

Tomato-Basil-Goat Cheese is an easy and delicious recipe, as promised:

You can prepare the tomato base ahead of time, add it to a dish with a slice of goat cheese in the middle and grill it in your wood oven until the cheese is melted/toasted. Serve on toast points.

Sauce: (Approximate proportions!! ....for two to three tapas)
    6 +/- peeled tomatoes(roma work nicely), diced
    1/2 onion, chopped fine
    2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
    2 t herbs de provence
    1/4 cup fresh basil
    salt and pepper to taste

Sautee to reduce liquid so it's not watery...about 10 minutes. (We make a lot of the sauce ahead of time and it keeps okay in the refrigerator for another tapa)

Prepare toast points by slicing a baguette and toasting the slices. Butter with garlic butter (ali oli). These are served with the dish after roasting.

Place a hot layer of the tomato basil mixture in a small low sided terra cota dish (6") and place a slice of goat cheese in the middle. (the sauce is about 1/2 inch thick and the goat cheese is too) Place under a grill or in your wood oven under a nice flame until the goat cheese is golden brown and bubbily...sprinkle with some fresh sliced basil.

Serve with the toast points and a spoon. Goes on the toast points and disappears quickly....

Definately a crowd pleaser...have more for the second round!

Salut.

Pictures to follow....
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: TAPAS...Tomato, Basil with Goat Cheese

Wow you have just made my day. I had this dish at my wedding There is only a few restaurants here that actually serve this. I have been searching for this recipe for over a year. Multiple trips to bookstores and libraries turned up nothing.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Comment

When was the wedding??

Hope you didn't have to wait too long
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Well it was in 2002. I actually made your recipe a week ago and it was exactly the same

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X