Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos

6 ? 10 fresh jalapenos
    Package of bacon (the thin variety works best)
    1 pkg. cream cheese (250 gm.)
    Tony Chachere?s Original Creole Seasoning
    1 each pepper of another type (optional)

1. Place cream cheese in a bowl; allow to come up to room temp (soft enough to work it).

2. Shake Tony?s on the cream cheese, mash/knead it in with a fork. This part is subjective to the taster. I usually shake/mix about three times to get a nice reddish tint throughout the mixture.

3. This next part is also subjective to the taster. If you want a hotter and a nice blend of flavors, cut another type of pepper, remove the seeds, and dice very finely. Mix in the desired amount into your cream cheese mixture.
    a. I have tried Serrano, habanero (orange, white Peruvian, chocolate), Jamaican, chocolate mulato. It doesn?t have to be a hot pepper, just my personal preference.
    b. You could also finely diced meat of any kind. Shrimp, crab, chicken. sausage, etc. It would be advisable to cook any meat being added to the inside at least ? of the way prior to mixing to ensure it is not raw once the peppers are done. It does not take them long to cook and the inside temp may not have sustained a high enough temp long enough to cook meats like chicken.

4. Place bowl in freezer for quick chill to thicken the mixture. It is easier to spread into the peppers.

5. Cut japs in half, remove seeds.

6. Once the mixture is thick, spread into the jap halves.

7. Dependent on the size of the bacon, you may be able to cut the bacon in half and wrap the stuff pepper, secure with a toothpick run through the pepper. Sprinkle pepper with Tony?s or, salt and pepper, garlic powder or, whatever catches your fancy. I?ve been cooking these for years and I?m still playing with variations.

8. How to cook is your option. Pan in WFO, open grill etc. For us, we cook directly over a wood fired pit using mesquite. Once the bacon is to the degree of your liking, it?s ready. We like blacken edges ourselves.

9.Enjoy!

I?ll post some pictures next time we grill bunch.

Re: Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos

I am trying something like this, this weekend but the chillies are just too hot a limey! Tony's seasoning too for my other half, is too hot so we will use Romana peppers but the rest of the recipe. I will put some pictures up.
    Where can I find logs? I need more!
    Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Re: Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos

We've done a similar thing called "Flaming buffalo turds". We cut the cap off the jalapeno, clean out the seeds & veins and then stuff the cavity with cream cheese. Next you wrap the stuffed pepper with a strip of bacon and secure it with a couple toothpicks. Roll them in brown sugar and bake in WFO until bacon browns. We like to bake them on a cooling rack in a sheet pan so the bacon grease drips off into the pan. Although lots of people liked them, most didn't like the occasional "fire-breather" so we came up with an alternate version.

Use the small sweet peppers widely available now. Crisp up some bacon and chunk it up. Split them lengthwise & clean, then put in your favorite hot pepper cheese. Sprinkle the bacon on top of the cheese and bake until the cheese melts. Bring it out and let it cool a bit. Lastly, put a dab of hot pepper jelly on each one and serve. We've dubbed these Smoldering Buffalo Farts and since we can make them whatever heat level we like...they've become our standard summer bites.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
      X