Chourico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chourico

Another simple one. Layer sliced chourico around some thinly sliced onions and garlic. Bakin in WFO. The onions will cook in the run off from the sausage.
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Re: Chourico

Please stop Joe, you are making me hunrgy...mussels, sausage, feta, posts about tuscany...stop!...

My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Again, looks great....don't worry about Drake :-)

....do you mean Chorizo, the spanish sausage?
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

According to the ever accurate (note dripping sarcasm) Wiki, they are related but different. Chourico are Portuguese and are made with wine. Actually, the wine was the only real distinction I could find.

Chorizo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Yeah it's the Portugese version - available in every supermarket here in SE Massachusetts. If I want the good stuff I'll go to some of the Portugese butchers in Fall River or New Bedford - but the "Gaspars chourico" at Stop & Shop ain't half bad.

Even the local Dunkin' Donuts in this area offer it as one of the meats on their breakfast sandwiches.
          "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Joe:

Since we are neighbors and are having the same type of weather. Have you been making all this great food this week? If so how did the WFO fair - I'm a bit scared to fire her up I don't want to have any cracks, and the neighbors might call the police because they think I'm cracked for cooking out side in 0 degree weather!!
            Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JoeT62 View Post
              Yeah it's the Portugese version - available in every supermarket here in SE Massachusetts. If I want the good stuff I'll go to some of the Portugese butchers in Fall River or New Bedford - but the "Gaspars chourico" at Stop & Shop ain't half bad.

Even the local Dunkin' Donuts in this area offer it as one of the meats on their breakfast sandwiches.
              These guys? http://www.gasparssausage.com/
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

Yeah, that's them.

Quite good, although some of the home made stuff my patients have brought me is incredible.

There are also a few other local brands in the markets, but Gaspars is the most prevalent.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Chef:

Living in No Pro huh? I worked at Fatima for a short time.

Yeah I made those in the WFO - I did bring the fire up a little more slowly than usual due to the weather. No problems.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Chef -

I like the Red Dragon! Very nice job!

So do you make your own dough? We here in the RI/MA area are blessed with locally made fresh pizza dough (you should see the looks I got in Texas this summer at the mega mart when i asked them where the pizza dough was).

I have gotten dough from several Fed Hill restaurants (if you beg they will usually part with a ball or two) as well as Seven Stars Bakery on the East side. I also make my own from Caputo Tipo 00 which is occasionally available at Tony's on Federal Hill.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Joe:

I live right by Fatima Hospital, can walk there in about 3 minutes!!

Yes we make our own dough, Chef Phil worked at Addesso on the East Side so he was sort of a WFO pizza expert before the oven was built! When we make the dough I'm in charge of making the dough I use the recipe on this site I do it by weight. I have bought the caputo flour at Venda Ravioli - they always have it, but we have found that we are using SO much flour we now buy 50 lb bags of King Arthur from Resturant Depot in Cranston, we pay $17.00 for that bag. It's hard to pass up that kind of deal!!

We have found the fresh dough that we can buy in the supermarket is tough and does not stretch well, but it works ok when a pizza emergency comes up!!

Thanks for letting us know about how your oven faired in this weather....hopefully we can fire her up today!

Malinda
                      Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

Comment

Yeah - I agree about the store bought dough, it doesn't stretch so well. But having tried my pizza making skills elsewhere in this country made me realize that having ANY fresh pizza dough available is a nice thing!

We will often make a batch of dough using Caputo and use that for the adults. Then I'll make pizzas for the kids (who just want some pepperoni pizza in their belly while they play Playstation) with the stuff I get at Shaws.

Good to know Venda carries the Caputo - I had gotten it at Tony's before. I have also begged 10 lbs of it off of some restaurants we like to go to (having your whole table toast the pizzaiola helps!).

I'll have to check out Restaurant Depot- that's a great deal. Do you use the AP flour or the Bread flour?

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

And by the way - tell Chef that Adessos was the first restaurant my wife and I went out to when we moved to this area (at the time we lived on the East Side) and the pizza was fantastic. My wife was also blown away by the half moon pasta (in a gorgonzola sauce I think).

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Joe:

To get into Restaurant Depot you need a membership card, there is no cost for the card but you need to show your business license or have a tax exempt letter from a non-profit. They have SO much stuff for pizza ovens, brushes, peels, bench scrapers, thermometers etc. The prices are amazing!!

It's so funny Addesso has been closed for years now and every time Phil mentions that he was the chef there EVERYONE tells him what thier favorite dish was. It's one of those rare resturants that appealed to everyone. Its amazing that people even recall what was on the menu!

Good luck on shopping at the Depot the website is www.restaurantdepot.com

Malinda
                            Last edited by Chef; 01-18-2009, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Bummer about Adesso being closed - we eat out only rarely now, which is one of the reasons I built the oven.

I have a friend who works as a chef - perhaps he has a card and can take me to Restaurant Depot someday!

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Working...
                              X