Mussels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mussels

Mussels, some clam broth, garlic, and halved grape tomatoes. Even my 2 year old ate these!
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Re: Mussels

Looks great....how long did it cook and how hot was your oven? did you preheat the dish?

I have not tried tomatoes but we use a splash of white wine and some thin lemon slices. Our friends do them with no added liquid and it's surprising the amount of liquid mussels can give off that way!
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I didn't preheat the dish but slowly brought them up to heat by gradually sliding them in and rotating as I did over a few minutes (a trick I learned at Zooma in Providence by watching them cook in their WFO)

I had a small fire on the other side, I suspect the oven was around 600.

As for timing, I just did it till they all opened, sorry I didn't time it. I'll pay more attention next time!

Another great variation is to do some coconut milk and some curry as the liquid base. The mussels release their liquor and the resulting broth is incredible (awesome with grilled bread rounds)
      "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Originally posted by JoeT62 View Post

Another great variation is to do some coconut milk and some curry as the liquid base. The mussels release their liquor and the resulting broth is incredible (awesome with grilled bread rounds)
        Sounds like a nice variation....I love to dip bread in the broth

Comment

Mussels! One of my favorite dishes. I'd much rather eat mussels than clams or oysters.

The Italians do a wonderful mussel dish in Southern Italy. They are cooked in olive oil with lots of parsley and pepper. They sometimes throw in tomatoes as well. Though I rarely agree with that last gentleman who posted, he seems to have found the magic of bread dipped in the mussel broth. All that's missing is the bottle of white wine. Perfection!
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Watch it GB....

....good to have you back....I think

Comment

Back (and forth) XJ. Here two days, gone two weeks. Tough keeping up with the threads.

Any recipes for mussel dishes from Espana?

BTW, what the heck is that a picture of next to your signature? Looks like some pagan statue wearing a kitchen towel and swinging num chuks (spelling unverified). ...and another thing...... what the heck does guzar or guzarlos mean? Questions, questions....
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Did you cover the pot while you put them in the oven?

Comment

Working...
                X