Scallops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scallops

Last night I tested a WFO appetizer recipe - at 103 yesterday it was too hot to actually use the WFO so used a 500 degree oven. My wife declared it a keeper so I thought I would share the recipe for those of you who CAN cook this summer! (And appetizers to cook in the oven are always nice!)

The recipe was cooked in a ceramic dish (casuela) and is easily scaled up. I provided rough amounts just for appx. ratios of ingredients. I didn't measure and you shouldn't have to either.

Scallops al Forno

8 large scallops
    1/3 cup of minced sweet onion (1014, Vidalia, Maui - or red -white or yellow should do)
    1/2 cup of minced tomato (home grown sweet tomatoes or San Marzanos would are preferred - sweet and low acid)
    1 clove of garlic - slivered
    1/4 cup white wine - I used chenin blanc. Avoid oaked chards.
    2 T. EVOO
    1/4 teaspoon chervil
    trace of herbes de Provence
    1/8 cup chives or green onion tops cut into thin rings

Put the minced onion in a small bowl with a tiny amount of wine and microwave it on high power for about three minutes.

Arrange the scallops in a dish so that it is mostly filled - say 70%. Scatter the garlic around the shrimp.

Mix the onions/tomatoes and chervil in a bowl and spoon around the scallops.

Drizzle olive oil over the scallops. Add the white wine to about half way (to 2-3) up the scallops. Dust with herbes de Provence. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Scatter green onions on top.

At 500 degrees it took about six minutes to be cooked. The tops of the scallops browned a bit and the green onions charred a bit but the scallops were not overcooked. In a HOT WFO the time will probably come down to 3-4 minutes. The key will be getting the wine to boil - once it is bubbling in the center it will be approaching time to get it out of the oven and let it finish cooking while it rests.

My wife's reaction to this was that she wanted plenty of sourdough to sop up the sauce! It was outstanding!
    Jay

Re: Scallops

Will give this a try, thanks.
    Where can I find logs? I need more!
    Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
    X