Dessert pizza crust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dessert pizza crust

Has anyone tried other crust recipes for their dessert pizzas? I like dessert pizza but the 'plain old' pizza dough seems to detract from the flavor. I'm thinking maybe a graham-cracker-like crust of some sort could do the trick, but perhaps it would burn too much unless I cut back on the sugar. Anyway, I'd love to hear from someone who uses a different, sweeter crust for their dessert pizzas.
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Re: Dessert pizza crust

Like the thick crust pizza question you will be trying to use the wrong tool for the job. You could do it at the end of the night as the oven cools down but the window might be fairly narrow. If you try to mix in crusts with sugar at higher temps you could really have fun!

My suggestion is to make sure your dough is spot on proofing wise (overproofed is IMO definitely not as good for desserty pizzas) so it has a bit of residual sugar. Second, it should IMO be seriously thin so it can be crisp (I really like crisp dessert pizzas). And, as always it should be sparse. I sprinkle brown sugar on some of my dessert pizzas to give a bit of extra sweetness and texture as it caremalizes (great on banans with moscarpone!). But...sugar in the dough in anything but low levels is likely to be problematic IMO.

Let us know what you try and the results you get!

Comment

I always use the standard pizza dough (which I never add anything like oil, sugar etc so there's never a problem with going sweet if I so chose at the end of the evening. I usually add caramel, banana and cinamon to make a sweet pizza. Best to pre-cook the base for a few minutes befor adding sweet toppings.
      / Rossco

Comment

I have made Nutella pizza with great success. Variations - banana and last night pears and almond slices.

They were a huge hit with my guests!

Comment

Working...
        X