Wood-Oven S’mores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood-Oven S’mores

Originally posted on the FB Community Cookbook: http://www.fornobravo.com/cookbook/i...od-oven-smores

Summer’s here, school’s out, and the weather’s fine. What better way to celebrate than with a little outdoor dessert-making session? Pretty much everybody knows how to make a s’more, but my one personal complaint about them is that the chocolate never melts. Here I’ve come up with a work-around, replacing the traditional chocolate bar with a rich fudge sauce that I think moves the s’more to an even higher plateau of deliciousness.

4 oz butter
    2 C cream
    3/4 C brown sugar
    3/4 C sugar
    1 1/4 C cocoa powder
    1 bag of your favorite marshmallows
    1 box of your favorite graham crackers
    Some sticks, whittled to a point on one end

To make the fudge sauce, combine the butter, cream, brown sugar and sugar in a medium-sized sauce pot. Place in your wood-fired oven (not too hot!) or over a medium-low flame on your stovetop and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. When the butter is melted and the sugar has dissolved completely, remove from the heat. Place the cocoa powder in a heat-proof bowl and add the cream mixture slowly, whisking vigorously. To avoid lumps, first add only enough liquid to create a stiff paste, then whisk in the remaining cream.

If you make your fudge sauce ahead and then refrigerate it before use, you’ll end up with a thick, spreadable concoction with a consistency similar to nutella – which, come to think of it, you could easily substitute here. If you use it right away it will be a bit runnier and hence a bit messier, but just as delicious, and possibly even a bit more fun for the kids. Just be sure to hose them off before you let them back in the house.

I think you know the rest, but just to be sure: Skewer a couple marshmallows on your sticks and toast in the oven to your personal desired doneness. Spread/drizzle one square of graham cracker with your fudge sauce, add your toasted marshmallow, and top with another square of graham cracker. Devour, wipe off your sticky hands and face, repeat.

Re: Wood-Oven S?mores

Oh this gives me ideas. I'll need to fab up a skewer stand to roast a half dozen at a time.
    "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Working...
    X