ny style zeppole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ny style zeppole?

I live on long island new york and work in nyc. I cant seem to find a recipe for fried zeppoles that the pizzarias and carnavils and fairs sell, here in new york they all taste the same butt wondering if anyone came across any good info

Re: ny style zeppole?

Ah, zeppole - the ultimate street food indulgence! Fried dough dusted with sugar - Italian health food, circa 1955. I grew up around the Arthur Avenue "Little Italy" in the Bronx, and just thinking of them brings me right back.

I don't have a specific recipe - I sometime do a home version using pizza dough - but a Google search for zeppole turned up 130,000 hits zeppole - Google Search
    Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Yeah i know. ;{ thats the prob, 13,000, and so many were differnt, thought i could cheat, and get some help , without testing.

Comment

I just saw a recipe for zeppole on Everyday Italian about "street food". Haven't made it yet, but looks super easy:

- 1 stick room temp butter
        - 1 cup water
        - 3 tbsp sugar
        - 1 cup all purpose flour
        - 4 eggs
        - pinch salt

Melt butter in pan on stove, add cup of water, sugar, and pinch of salt and stir to combine

Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup flour til combined

Return to heat and stir to cook off "floury" taste

After a minute or so, remove from heat and transfer to a bowl

Add 1 egg at a time and blend into dough with hand held mixer (add egg, mix, add egg, mix, add egg, mix, add egg, mix)

Use ice cream scooper to drop dough into 375 degree oil

Drop finished zeppole from fryer into vanilla cinnamon sugar (1 cup sugar, 2 tbsp cinnamon, seeds from 1 vanilla bean - stir to combine)

Eat

Comment

I have been af from pizza making and cooking the last year or so my twins are now 2 and half and football season started so just orded san marz and tipo flour gona start playing andgain and today made some fied empanadas so i finnaly gona try ZEPPOLES since i have my aid mixer out ill post on how came out and recipe

Comment

Here's one from Italy literally- Do you read Italian? If not, try using reverso.com for translation

Ricetta zeppole di san giuseppe

or this is simple enough I guess:

# 1/2 cup sugar, plus 3 tablespoons
            # 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
            # 1 stick butter
            # 1/4 teaspoon salt
            # 1 cup water
            # 1 cup all-purpose flour
            # 4 eggs
            # Olive oil, for frying

Add 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan combine the butter, salt, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Take pan off the heat and stir in the flour. Return pan to the heat and stir continuously until mixture forms a ball, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the flour mixture to a medium bowl. Using an electric hand mixer on low speed, add eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating each egg completely before adding the next. Beat until smooth. If not frying immediately, cover with plastic wrap and reserve in the refrigerator.

Meanwhile, pour enough oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F.

Using a small ice-cream scooper or 2 small spoons, carefully drop about a tablespoon of the dough into the hot olive oil, frying in batches. Turn the zeppole once or twice, cooking until golden and puffed up, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Toss with cinnamon-sugar. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.
            Last edited by FigliodiMariaeGiovanni; 09-28-2008, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Just fried dough?....we fill ours with a cooked cream! I have never seen a zeppole not filled. In RI the population is mostly Italian and Irish. St Patricks day (March 17th) and St Jospehs day (March 19th) are big celebrations around here we have one bakery down the street from us that will make about 20,000 zeppoli that week. So to keep the Irish included they get filled with whipped cream, Irish Wiskey cream or Bailieys Cream.

Zeppole are available year round but during March EVERY bakery has them.

I'll see if I can get the recipe from Mom.
              Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Over the top, Bailey's fllled zeppole! Sounds great. My Irish wife will love that. Gonna try it for sure.

Comment

Working...
                X