Macaroons in the WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macaroons in the WFO

These were GOOD! (I really need a smily licking it lips here)

200g ground nuts
    200g brown sugar
    2 egg whites

Whip the egg whites thoroughly, add half the sugar and continue whipping until its disolved. Add the other ingredients, shape and put on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 mins at 200 C (or 5 mins at 240 C - next time I'll try it lower and longer, I think that should work, too)

The filling is out of melted chocolate with a bit of butter and icing sugar stired in.
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Re: Macaroons in the WFO

Lower and longer!
    It is a type of food that you could bake under the sunlight! and in fact it is!
    Slurp!!!

Luis

Comment

Frances,
      I tried the macaroons tonight using cashews and pecans. Delicious! I have never made those before. They cooked like a dream in the WFO. I wrote about it in the "grilled artichokes.....thread.
      Kathy

Comment

Kathy, pecans and cahews sound great! We only have haslenuts and almonds around here, unless you want to grind you own.

Luis, how low and how long, ideally? I think I'll make some more tomorrow with the left over heat from today's Pizzas
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

As I said before, some meringues are baked under the sunlight!
          Temperatures under 100?C, until baked.
          The ones in the pictures were baked around 120?C if no memory fail.
          This kind of meringue - macaroons could be baked in the home oven (static) in medium hot.

Luis

Comment

He's right you know!

Macaroons baked at 140 C for 20 mins are EVEN better. (They look just the same, but I'll put the photo in anyway)

Tomorrow I'll try them at 50 C - if the oven's still hot enough...

Comment

Macaroons baked at 90 C (or 80 C by the time they were finished) take about 4 hours. Maybe less if don't open the door every half hour to see if they're done...

Comment

Nice!
                The secret of white eggs working, is to maintain in the final product the air incorporated when mixed.
                So, when ready to beat the whites, add only a little salt (will make them fluffy and stronger) and beat until firm, then add the necessary sugar and mix only to blend.
                From this point, only disturb the whites when necessary.
                Mix the pecans, butter and anything that you like in your recipe in a big bols, then add the fluffy whites and blend these in the mixture slowly, from bottom to up, until totally incorpored.
                Bake at low temperature, as before.
                Let me know!

Luis

Comment

Ok, macaroons at 100 C take about 2 1/2 hours to bake.

I tried to draw mayself a temperature/time curve to work out how long they need to stay in, but it came down to opening the oven every half hour again. (Could anyone with one of them software programs make one maybe?)

This time I added salt to the eggwhites. That works a treat as well! And as a tribute to you, Luis, I made a pyramid...

Comment

Franc?s:
                    Nice!
                    Could you ?Fedex? a dozen to me, please!
                    In continuing the macaroons (macaron in French and Ammaretti in Italian ? original ones) learning curve, I am sending the next observations to you. Even in French, will be easy to understand or translate it.
                    I could do that in another message, if necessary.
                    PS: by the way, the pyramid of mine was a Christmas tree!...
                    Luis

A la suite de ces observations, je serais tent? de dire que les dictons relatifs a la mont?e des blancs en fonction de la nature des r?cipients ne me semblent pas v?rifi?s.
                    Concernant les additifs, je serais tent? de dire que le jus de citron seul offre un r?sultat d?passant tous les autres.

En revanche le sel semble acc?l?rer la retomb?e des blancs .
                    Le bicarbonate de soude (?l?ments surprise) apporte une mont?e rapide mais d?veloppe un grainage ?tonnant.
                    Le sel dans une mesure relative apporte aussi un grainage.
                    Comme vous avez pu le constater dans le sommaire il existe 3 sortes de meringue :
                    La meringue fran?aise : blancs d'oeufs battus en neige avec du sucre semoule.
                    Elle est utilis?e pour les oeufs ? la neige, l'omelette norvegienne, meringuer les tartes et pour les meringues cuites. C'est la plus simple ? r?aliser.
                    La meringue italienne : blancs d'oeufs battus en neige avec du sucre cuit. La meringue Italienne supporte le feu. On peut se permettre de donner une coloration ? la flamme directe ou au grill de la salamandre ou du four ou meme au tison. Elle est utilis?e pour masquer des entremets comme l'omelette norv?gienne ou la tarte au citron mais aussi dans la r?alisation de certaines cr?mes comme la cr?me au beurre et dans les mousses et souffl?s. C'est la plus difficile ? r?aliser ? cause du sucre cuit.
                    La meringue suisse : blancs d'oeufs battus en neige avec sucre sur bain marie ti?de. Elle est moins l?g?re que la meringue fran?aise mais aussi moins cassante. Elle sert surtout ? r?aliser des d?cors de gateaux et entremets.

Additifs
                    Mont? au fouet ? main
                    Remont? au batteur ?lectrique
                    Repos 1 h
                    Fragilit?
                    Rel?che
                    En poids
                    Repos 5h Rel?che
                    En poids
                    acide citrique
                    Bonne mont?e
                    Tr?s bien
                    Fragile
                    34 gr
                    100 gr
                    Jus de citron
                    Tr?s d?velopp? , montage rapide, ferme
                    identique
                    identique
                    34 gr
                    90 gr
                    Citron et sel
                    Mont?e rapide, bonne tenue et souple
                    identique
                    identique
                    36 gr
                    94 gr
                    Sel
                    Graine vite, mousse fragile, bon d?veloppement
                    identique
                    identique
                    55 gr
                    101 gr
                    Cr?me de tartre
                    Mousse tr?s ferme, tr?s beau d?veloppement spectaculaire
                    identique
                    identique
                    33 gr
                    84 gr
                    Bicarbonate de soude
                    Monte tr?s vite, mousse fragile
                    identique
                    Tr?s fragile
                    48 gr
                    88 gr
                    TEMOIN
                    Ferme et bonne tenue, d?veloppement impressionnant
                    identique
                    Tr?s humide et fragile
                    44 gr

Comment

Christmas tree... pyramid... its nearly the same, right?

Right, so what you're saying is that lemon juice works better than salt to keep the beaten eggwhites firm?

You did all this research yourself? Very impressive!

Um, if you could just translate this bit for me, I can't quite get a handle of what you were measuring.

Additifs
                      Mont? au fouet ? main
                      Repos 1 h
                      Fragilit?
                      Rel?che
                      En poids
                      Repos 5h Rel?che
                      En poids

Actually Luis, please DO post a translation. I'm sure anyone interested will be thankfull for it, if not right now, then maybe at a later date

Comment

We all know that google translations are, how does one say, not conducive to understanding at depth, but here goes:

As a result of these observations, I am tempted to say that the sayings related to the rise of white depending on the nature of receptacles would seem to me not audited.
                        On additives, I am tempted to say that lemon juice provides a single result exceeding all others.
                        However salt seems accelerate trickle of whites.
                        The baking soda (surprise element) is a rapid rise but develops a surprising graining.
                        The salt in a relative measure also provides graining.

As you have seen in the summary there are 3 kinds of meringue:

The French meringue: egg whites beaten in the snow with sugar. It is used for eggs in the snow, the Norwegian omelette, meringuer pies and baked meringues. This is the easiest to achieve.

The Italian meringue: egg whites beaten with sugar snow cooked. The Italian meringue supports the fire. We can afford to give a colour to the direct flame or grill of the salamander or four or even to the torch. It is used to mask the omelet dessert as Norwegian or lemon tart, but also in carrying out certain creams such as butter and cream in mosses and souffl?s. This is the most difficult to achieve because of cooked sugar.

The Swiss meringue: egg whites beaten with sugar on snow bain marie lukewarm. It is slightly less than the French meringue but less brittle. It is primarily used to make decorations for cakes and dessert.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

BUUAAHHAAAAHAAA!!
                          So, the nature of the receptacles is not audited, is it? I love it! Thanks Dmun, I haven't laughed like that for a long time!

Actually some of this is about what I understood, but assumed must be wrong in context. What on earth is graining of beaten eggwhites?

Comment

That is fun!
                            Here it goes (shorted)

The result obtained from whipping egg whites (wew) is white and stiffed foam.
                            This white foam seems like snow (lets your mind go there ?g-). From that, ?claras batidas a nieve? in Spanish or ?blancs d?oeufs battus en neige? in French language.

Based on the Chefsimon.com - Recettes en photos, cours de cuisine en ligne, gastronomie. tests, the container type did not show differences, despite the urban legend that affirm that cooper is so far better.
                            The juice of lemon is the one that gives the best results when added to whipping egg whites.
                            The salt is good, whit good development, but lets the wew fall again quickly.
                            The baking soda is as fast to ride as to fall.
                            There is three meringue types: the French one, with whipped egg whites (wew) and coarse sugar; the Italian one with wew and sugar diluted in hot water (caramelized) that are resistant to fire (or oven) and the Suisse meringues with wew and sugar in a bols that is inner another bols with lukewarm water (bain marie ti?de or ba?o maria tibio).
                            There is a table that was unformatted in the last mail. You could see it in http://www.chefsimon.com/gmblanc.htm
                            More, great and English wrote information in
                            http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/perfectmeringue.htm

Bye. Au revoir. Arrivederci. Hasta luego. At?

Luis

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post

<SNIP>

Um, if you could just translate this bit for me, I can't quite get a handle of what you were measuring.

Additifs
                              Mont? au fouet ? main
                              Repos 1 h
                              Fragilit?
                              Rel?che
                              En poids
                              Repos 5h Rel?che
                              En poids

<SNIP
                              Hi Frances,

I thought you were addressing me (Luis/Luiz) with your request, so just in case you haven't got the xlate yet, here goes:

Additives
                              Beaten (i.e.) made to rise with hand whisk
                              Whipped up again with an electric whisk
                              Rest for 1 hour
                              Fragility (?: perhaps test if it stays up...)
                              [let it] Relax (my wife thinks it means let it go soft a little)
                              By weight
                              Let rest for 5 hours, Relax
                              By weight

Cheers,

LMH
                              "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Working...
                              X