cakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cakes?

We have a woman in our church who has made wedding cakes for years, and wants to know if a brick oven as the one we are planning would suffice in the baking of cakes.

Anyone out there have any practical experience making a cake in a bick oven?

Pros?

Cons?

Re: cakes?

What heat would you need the oven to be at to bake a wedding cake?

I baked a chocolate cake recently at 180 C (356 F) for a bit over an hour. And in fact I prefer using the brick oven for baking - the heat seems to be more constant (especially for the lower temps) than my old gas oven in the kitchen. You can fit more cakes in the brick oven at the same time, too (if that is an issue).

Once you've gained some experience on how your oven heats and cools, it should be ideal for baking cakes - or anything else for that matter. I know I'm using my oven more for baking than for Pizzas - when I built it I thought it would be the other way round!
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Definitely would work well...you have to know your oven...understand where the heat comes from as the air temperature and surface temperature don't match...as Frances said with experience you can do anything you want in a brick oven...pictured is a bundt cake with caramel icing we did in our oven
      Best
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks for the replies. We'll have to do some experimenting once we get things up and running.

Comment

All types of cakes are include by event management. Looking for Catering in Dallas Texas. Look no further than Eddie Deen's. Eddie Deen is Dallas' most sought after caterer. Contact Us Today.For more information about Catering Dallas and Catering In Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamSmith12 View Post
            All types of cakes are include by event management. Looking for Catering in Dallas Texas. Look no further than Eddie Deen's. Eddie Deen is Dallas' most sought after caterer. Contact Us Today.For more information about Catering Dallas and Catering In Dallas.
            Moderator,, DMUN,James

Isnt there a rule against advertising here,, can you delete this guy, he seems to be showing up all over....

Mark

Comment

Yum! Arriving very belatedly to this thread, but, Dutch, would you share the recipe -- or the temp and time? Did you make a caramel and then pour it over the finished cake after it was out of the pan and cooled? Thanks in advance. Kathy

Comment

Working...
              X