Limoncello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Limoncello

In Italy, they sold sets of small digestivo glasses, similar size to shot glasses, but with a different shape - many different shapes available. We often used water glasses filled about a quarter of the way up on hot summer nights after a big meal. A couple of refills and you were toast!
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Well, it's winter in Southern California which means it's too cold to work on the pizza oven (it's 60 degrees outside, I could catch a cold) and my Eureka Lemon tree has hundreds of ripe lemons I can't even begin to use.

Here is my 1st foray into making Limoncello. We can't get Everclear in California and to be honest, I was impressed by how smooth Vodka Limoncello was that they made on board the ship on my last cruise versus the real-deal (which I luv too). I will use higher proof vodka next time, this is just left over Sterling and Absolute from a party and Elizabeth says the higher proof is better.

The bottle on the left is GRATED lemon peel and the one on the right is done with a potato peeler just to see what the difference will be besides the grated one turning yellow after just 1 day. The peeled lemons (17 of them!) took a long time (ok, 40 min.) since I scrapped any white pith from the back side. Maybe it will just take longer to color and leech out the oils? I plan to shake the jars everyday, so they're in the wine cellar and I can't miss them. Cheers, Dino
      Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 01-15-2010, 03:05 PM. Reason: me spell crappy always
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Hi Dino!

I had to pick about a hundred Myers lemons before a freeze and I did everything lemon I could including making 2 bottles of Lemoncello. The work is definitely in the peeling! Took me about 45 minutes also. I thought mine was better than the commercial lemoncello I have bought!

My recipe had me steep them in the vodka for 4 days, then add the sugar water. Good Luck!
        Jay

Comment

Dino, I'm jealous of your lemons. I had a tiny little potted lemon plant (Myer) that I kept indoors for about 3 years. It produced 2 small lemons in that time, but has since died last week. Apples we can grow in Michigan. Lemons, not so well.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Now I am thirsty! We made a bunch of cherry vodka (Chericello?) from a firends sour cherry tree. Seems like a similar process. I think I need to get some lemons!

Drake
            My Oven Thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

We make limoncello and orangecello...but just beacuse we waste NOTHING in this house I take make a simple syrup 50/50 water sugar, bring it to a boil and throw the lemon OR orange peels (DO NOT MIX)that had been soaking in the everclear into the boiling syrup mix. Lower the heat to simmer and keep stiring until the syrup becomes thick about 45 mins. remove peels and place on a wire rack and sprinkle with more sugar; allow to cool. Serve with your limoncello and ENJOY!!!
              Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

OK, a couple of days ago a friend whose mail we were collecting for her while she and her husband were away paragliding in California returned. As a small gift she brought us a large bucket of Myer lemons and I thought what a great time to try making our own limoncello. So checking this thread and stopping by the State Liquor Store (Yep, "Freedom's just another word for.... having to buy your booze from a State run, price and selection controlled liquor store) to buy some Everclear we started washing and peeling lemons. I was actually surprised the state store had Everclear in stock as their selection is quite limited and varies greatly.

So today is day two and the Everclear has turned a lovely shade of bright lemon yellow but it's a clear yellow. Sort of like the peeled lemon version (right hand jar) in Dino's picture. I looked around at other photos online and all I've found was a cloudy opaque yellow limoncello. At what point does it turn cloudy or have I done something wrong?

Any help or insight appreciated.
                Bests,
                Wiley

Comment

My limoncello has never been cloudy other than when I take it right out of the freezer. When it was infusing, it was nice and clear, and remained so when I added the simple syrup to it. I wouldn't worry about it, just be sure to leave the peels in long enough to get all the nice oils out. My recipe wanted me to do it for 40 days, I think...

You're lucky you can buy everclear at all. In VA, the state thinks we're too stupid to buy it, so it's only available on post, not the ABC store. I'll have to go to MD to get it. I have been using the 100 proof vodka, but I like what my brother turns out with everclear better.
                  Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Yow, Elizabeth...the Everclear tastes better? Well, ignorance is bliss for me. Maybe on my road trip this summer to Yellowstone, I'll hit a state that sells it to us moonshiners!

Wiley,
                    My "grated" L-cello is cloudy when shaken, but my "peeled" L-cello isn't. The grated tastes farther along so last week at 30-40 days, we added sugar-water and letting it "marinate" for a week before tasting. The peeled stuff might be ready now too for the sugar. I'll taste it tomorrow and take some pics and post what I think.
                    Can't wait to hear how yours turns out! Cheers, Dino
                    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Well, the Everclear tastes better than the el cheapo 100 proof vodka, I think. Or it just tastes less, maybe? I dunno, but I'd love to be able to buy it here.
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
                        Well, the Everclear tastes better than the el cheapo 100 proof vodka, I think. Or it just tastes less, maybe? I dunno, but I'd love to be able to buy it here.
                        I think the taste is vastly better using everclear and proofing down with sugar syrup than with vodka. Both spirits should be tasteless, with the only reaction to your tounge being the harshness of the alcohol. I think the higher proof everclear extracts more oils and flavor and accepts the sugar water better than vodka. At least, that's been my exerience.

You're making limoncello...not lemon infused vodka, right?

Comment

I'd love to try this with mandarins.
                          removing the pith maybe a problem though.
                          -------------------------------------------
                          My 2nd Build:
                          Is here

Comment

A light touch and a sharp peeler might be all you need.

I've done it with lemons, limes, oranges, tangerines, clemintines and pomegranates. Next on the list is grapefruit.

Comment

We've found that leaving the bottles in the freezer for about a year seems to mellow the taste out and eliminate any harsh after taste. Therefore we make large batches in advance and store them in the freezer. We have also had better results with Everclear.

Comment

Well while the limoncello ages and gets aquainted with the sugar syrup my I have been on the lookout for a set of proper glasses to serve it in. Last evening while searching the shelves of the Goodwill I came across a set I couldn't pass up. A set of ten stemmed shot glasses; they have "Stoli Russian Vodka" etched on their sides but otherwise look like they will do the job admirably. Here's a link to a pair for sale on ebay for a picture of what they look like:
                                STOLI Russian Vodka SHOT GLASSES - Pair - Collectible - eBay (item 400056186652 end time Apr-11-10 20:10:40 PDT)

Of course at Goodwill one doesn't pay the prices asked on ebay... these were priced at 69 cents each (55 cents with senior discount :^)

I am planning on bottling my limoncello in clear "tenths" wine bottles and hope to find time to print up some labels. What do the rest of you keep your limoncello in? Do you decant from a larger bottle to a smaller one (which goes in the freezer) or do you bottle a batch up all at once?

Bests,
                                Wiley

Comment

Working...
                                X