Fruit pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit pizza

My husdband made a pizza with EVOO, apracotts, rasberries, cinnamen, butter and brown sugar. He cooked it at a high temp and the toppings and sugar carmalized and the crust was crunchy. He served it with vanilla ice cream.Yum!

Dessert pizza

Hi Annie,

Great to hear from you -- welcome aboard, and we'll look forward to hearing more about your oven receipes. How is your summer going?

The dessert pizzas sound like a great idea. We have to give that a try. I have heard of a gnutella pizza, but never made one. Has anyone tried that?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Dessert Pizza

Thanks James, I'm glad to hear from you! Our summer is unuasually hot, but it cools off enough at night to enjoy our oven. We have had quite a few pizza gatherings. Everyone is amazed at how fast the pizza cooks and how good it is! I have to tell you that most of our cooking in our oven has been done by my husband, Jerald. I have the pleasure of making the pizza and helping our guests and Jerald cooks. We are really enjoying experementing and trying new things, as well as, cooking some old favorites. I was roasting a prime rib in my convection oven for Christmas dinner and needed more oven space so we fired the oven and baked our scalloped potatoes in it.

Comment

The nutella pizza is pretty good - as long as you like nutella! It is actually on the menu as a dessert at Campania Pizza in Dallas...they bake the dough, then spread it with nutella when it comes out and put a bit of whipped cream on it. I've heard another version where they cook the dough, then butterfly it and spread the inside with nutella - I haven't tried that one.

I want to try a version with just regular chocolate and maybe some sliced strawberries - maybe cook the dough first and then put shaved chocolate on it and put it on the peel and hold it to the roof of the oven for a second or two to melt the chocolate...then add strawberries??? I may try it this weekend.

A big favorite around here - loved by the ladies for some reason - is thinly sliced pears, brie cheese, EVOO and brown sugar...when the brown sugar carmelizes it is pretty awesome. Very rich and heavy though.

when i did my vpn class in LA I made them both of those pizzas...the kitchen staff really seemed to like it.

Comment

Jay,

I dunno. I have always thought of gnutella at a teenage thing. Give me olive oil, garlic and some sauteed onions any day. Or fruit and cheese (with Port, Vin Santo or Linoncello) for dessert. Did you actually like the gnutella???

Any sweet toothes out there?

Off topic, but we made some pretty good Limoncello this year. Anyone interested in a recipe?
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Gnutella

Now I love nutella and we will probably use it on our next fruit pizzas as a base,but really, our fruit pizzas are a big hit with our guests. We have served about 50 (people) and they love them! Our most recent experiment was to add a little extra sugar to our dough which seemed to allow it to brown better and added cinnamen apples, bananas, papaya, kiwi, pears, mandrine oranges, pineapple and chocolate chips to our toppings. The favorites combine sweet and tart like: aprocott-rasberry or kiwi-straberry-chocolate chip.We apply toppings sparingly with a good ammount of brown sugar and a little butter. We cook them like regular pizza and serve them like dessert.

Comment

OK Annie,

I have to admit that I have never tried a Nutella pizza, so I can't say I don't like it until I've tried it.

Do you spread the Nutella on the base the way you would a tomato sauce, then add the fruits, spices, etc. on top? That's my mission -- learn to make dessert pizza. More to come when I've actually done it. How important is sugar in the dough? Does it add a lot, or can you use your regular pizza dough?

Does anyone have photos of their dessert pizzas they can share?

James
              Last edited by james; 07-12-2006, 05:36 PM.
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Fruit Pizza 101

Hello James, its Jerald. Annie asked me to share with you our fruit pizza insights. We have not yet used nutella but may soon. The pizza we made was on our pizza dough with a little EVOO or butter as a moisture barrier, fruit (the sweeter the better) any spice like cinnamen and/or nutmeg, brown sugar, and some small pieces of butter. I think the fruit gives up less liquid and carmalizes better when it has some space arround it. I would also go easy on fruit with a lot of water in it like pineapple or mellon. We did make some dough with some extra sugar (about two tbs) in it and I think it was a bit sweeter and browned better. I cook the pizzas at a high temp 500-600 F to get a nice brown crust and carmalize the toppings. We are still learning and experimenting and have not taken any pictures yet but will send you some soon.

Comment

the evidence is quickly eaten - gotta be quick with the camera

Comment

Great to hear from you Gerald. Butter and brown sugar is a killer combination. I know that butter has a much lower burning temperature than olive oil (which has a much lower burning temperature than canola oil), so I am guessing you have to let your oven temperature fall from the 750F where you are cooking pizza.

That's another thing to try. Add it to the Nutella base dessert pizza. I've got some work to do -- but we have family visitors, so that's my excuse to experiement.

Thanks for the tips Gerald.
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Fruit Pizza pictures

We made a few fruit pizzas yesterday. Our friend Peter Annie and I made a pizza each. Peter used less brown sugar and his pizza was lighter and more fruity tasting. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Figs & Chestnut Honey

This time of year I make a fig and chestnut honey pizza for dessert. I flavor the dough with some lemon or orange zest and sugar. The topping is fresh figs, a tiny bit of fresh rosemary, a couple of pinches of gray sea salt. and a good drizzle of chestnut honey. This would also be wonderful with a post-bake addition of mascarpone, but I usually keep it fat-free for my dieting guests.

Comment

Re: Fruit pizza

I started a new posting for desert pizza under Pizza where I have feedback from others, and links to see pictures and videos of desert pizza.

Comment

Working...
                          X