Stollen recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stollen recipe

I was thinking of making some Stollen this weekend. The only recipe I have for it is from New Complete Book of Breads. Has anyone made this or do they have a recipe for Stollen that they've used before?

Re: Stollen recipe

Here they are. Baked at around 350. I'm eating a slice right now. Wow. So good. It cries out for a nice cup of coffee to go with it.

Comment

I should note that we couldn't find candied orange or lemon peel at the grocery store near us, so we ended up doing that ourselves. Not really hard, just a little time consuming. We were at a different grocery store this morning and they had tubs of both types of peels for about $2 each. Might be worth it for the convenience. I ended up using half King Arthur and half Gold Medal all-purpose for the dough. The texture is perfect.

Comment

So, I ended up doing it this way:
        Starter:
        1/2 cup of milk at about 120 degrees
        2 1/2 teaspoons of yeast
        1 cup all purpose flour
        Just mix and let sit at room temperature until it has doubled in size. I let mine rise for about 4 hours. I used 2 % milk.

Bread:
        Starter
        1 1/2 cups milk at 120 degrees
        1/3 cup sugar
        2 teaspoons salt
        5 cups all purpose (1/2 King Arthur, 1/2 Gold Medal)
        1 stick of butter, cubed, room temperature
        1 tablespoon Hennessey
        1 cup sliced almonds
        ~1 cup of my candied orange and lemon peel mixture
        3/4 cup golden raisins
        1/4 cup currants (the Sun Maid Zante currants)
        1 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter for brushing the finished loaves
        confectioners sugar

I mixed the starter, and milk. Then tossed in the butter, 2 cups of flour, salt and sugar. After that was mixed, I slowly added the rest of the flour. Then the cognac. Mix until it forms a shaggy dough. Then turn it onto a floured work surface and knead aggressively for about 6 minutes and let it rest for another 5 after that.
        Spread it out by hand into a rectangle and pour half of the fruits and nuts evenly over the dough and fold it in together. Spread out into another rectangle and pour the remaining fruit and nuts. Fold and knead until all of the fruits and nuts are evenly incorporated into the dough and put into a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 75 minutes.
        I then cut the dough into 4 pieces and rolled them out into ovals that are about 1/2" thick. I spread some melted butter on the loaves, then folded the loaves in half, but left about an inch protruding on the bottom. I then placed them on some parchment paper and covered them with a towel and let them rise for another hour. Then bake them in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Turn 180 degrees in the oven, and bake until deep brown. For my four smaller loaves, it only took another 6 minutes in the oven, and I probably could have taken them out after 30 minutes. But as soon as you take them out, brush them with butter and let them cool.
        I left them on the rack overnight and on Sunday morning I sifted some confectioners sugar on top of a loaf before eating. We gave the other three loaves away as gifts. And now we are down to the last two slices.
        If only the recipe was quicker from start to finish...

Comment

Looks great? Has anyone had any luck with panettone? Is it essentially the same recipe?
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Yeah, I think they are pretty similar. Except add an egg or two and take out the cognac. And use water for the starter, but keep the milk for the main dough.

Comment

Frances posted a recipe for Swiss Panetone, too. Check it out.
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f13/...tone-3238.html

Comment

Working...
              X