This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite pan, tool or gadget

Thanks for the pizza's link......................
    Cold coffee machine

Comment

I have'nt checked in for a long time, but I have found a tool for slicing fresh mozzarella. Put as large a piece of mozzarella that will fit in a hard boiled egg slicer and press the wires down and you will have very nice, evenly sliced cheese. It woks like a CHARM !!
      Good luck,
      Jack

Comment

I have been using a short-handled device used to remove the lid of a cast iron pot to add, move and remove things inside my oven. Nice design with a hook and a coiled wire handle. Available at good "outdoor" shops here in Oz. Will post a pic shortly.
        / Rossco

Comment

Since I've built my oven, I've discovered Japanese Ironware, some hand hammered and others casted(pots, boilers, pans). All of my neighbors have them and none of them are using them, and the gladly give them away.

Comment

I get a lot of use from my "pig tail" meat turning hook. Great for raising lids, cooking steaks, moving pots etc. Barbecue supply places have them
            Last edited by Neil2; 05-06-2011, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
              I have been using a short-handled device used to remove the lid of a cast iron pot to add, move and remove things inside my oven. Nice design with a hook and a coiled wire handle. Available at good "outdoor" shops here in Oz. Will post a pic shortly.
              Here in Arizona, we call those Conchos or Hookers. Used a lot for dutch oven cooking!
              Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Anyone near the Anaheim area that knows where to get Terracotta pans, and other high temp items (pots, etc) for the forno oven?? I'm heading down to LA in 2 weeks and would like to purchase some to take back to Canada. Thanks

Comment

Forno Gator, Have you used a Terracotta pan in your oven yet? I have a number of them and they all recommend starting them out in a cold oven. So I would be interested to know if any one else has used them. I worry about them shattering.

I use cast iron myself. I went to a local flea market last weekend and picked up 4 new to me pans. Thanks

Comment

Forno Gator, look at "Tuesday morning" for ceramic cooking pans. They are not always a bargain but sometimes you'll find a really good deal on these here.

Chris

Comment

We have not used the Forno yet but are looking forward to it. The reason is the the Forno Oven is a work in progress. The foundation and walls are built and the rest of it should be finished relatively soon provided my "Italian Mason" shows up to finish it. We had four, four foot deep pilings put under the Pad to prevent frost heave.... this is required for our cold winters otherwise the walls will shift and wreck the walls.

We routinely use pottery type pans in our gas stove for things like baking Asparagus with olive oil and use Le Creuset Pots on and in our gas oven. The Le Crueset Pots are rated for 500 deg. F. (I think the handles will melt if over 500), but a little too expensive to try out in the Forno Oven, and we love using pottery type pans for baking veggies etc... so I want to try similar dishes that can take the heat. I'll post with the results of using the Terracotta pans in the oven.

Comment

I purchased two Terracotta pans from the Forno Bravo website.... their service was good. The pans were shipped to our hotel in California, now to take them back in our carry-on baggage and not break them. I checked out Tuesday Mornings and they had Terracotta pans just not sure of the quality. There is a big difference between cheap, poor quality and good quality terracotta. The good stuff, which I assume the Italy made Terracotta from Forno Bravo should last a long time... and not break at high heat if you cure them properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Yahoo-Archive View Post
                          Hello all,

After a lot of looking, I have found a good source of pizza tools,
                          peels, oven tools, etc. It's a family owned business just west of
                          Florence, where the father is the designer, one brother does sales
                          and marketing, the other brother does production and engineering and
                          the mom is the bookkeeper. Nice folks. They make both residential and
                          commercial tools, and are very well known here. They also sponsor the
                          Italian Pizzaiolo Acrobat Team (really).

The tools are in stock in the states, and I re-did the FB.com web site:

Pizza Peels | Wooden Pizza Peel | Metal Oven Tools

Let me know off-line if you have any questions.

James
                          What's the name of the business and street location in Florence? Naples has allot of pizzerias and I'd assume pizza stores any there that you would recommend? Thanks

Comment

I'm building a table (with a Corian top) for resting my bread after pre-shaping. Since my prep room gets a bit cool in the winter, I'd like to warm this table top. I am considering buying some soil warming wire (with a built-in thermostat set at 74F) to mount under the Corian. Anyone ever use the soil warming wire for such a purpose?

p.s. I do move my dough loaves to an enclosed, temperature controlled proofing rack after they are sized, pre-shaped, and rested for half an hour but often the dough gets cooled down too much while resting (on the current, unheated Corian surface).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.
                            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was looking for roasting pans for my oven I came across a pan at IKEA that has worked very well for me.

It is SS with a rack. 2 1/2" deep by 11 1/2" x 15". The web site gives slightly bigger dimensions. It is sturdy and about $12.00. It is a Koncis 100.990.53 is the IKEA number.

Should have got 2 while I was there.

David

Comment

I decided to put together a list of my favorite tools for WFO prep--both for the oven and the items to be baked. I didn't include any pots or pans...figured that was way too big a can of worms to get into. I ended up with a dozen "tools" I use with almost every bake...problem is that it ended up being a three page document. I decided to make it into a pdf and attach it here so it might be helpful to folks looking for "the basics and beyond".

I know there's no perfect list possible (or at least a list we'd all agree on ), but my 12 favorites include the IR gun, a blow tube, fire tool, ash brush, bucket, hotpads/gloves, food scale, Lame, temp probe, pizza bubble popper/pan puller, timer, and a peel. I hope the attached pdf explains each item and basic use(s) adequately to newbies so they can make better decisions about what tools will work for their cooking plans.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by SableSprings; 12-03-2015, 07:52 PM.
                                Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                                Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                                Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                                Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X