This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Jim,

Like all good hobbies, brick ovens have great toys. The FB store (http://wwww.fornobravo.com/store/) carries lots of good things, including an Infrared and nice Italian made terracotta. I know you can get good terracotta where you are, and we really like our producer in Tuscany.

There is a cultural link that runs from here, through Provence into Valencia. You see wonderful glazed terracotta, outdoor kitchens, olive oil, and rice from one end to the other. Nice was Italian until the 19th century. The bread is better in Provence, the pizza is better here, and the Paella is best where you are. And you get to enjoy it!
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Favorite pan, tool or gadget

I have added the copper oil cannister to the Forno Bravo Store. You can find it here. Happy swirling.
      James

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Oil-...a-p-16241.html
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Mixing dough with a pasta spoon. I tried this a couple of times after Jim's recommendation to handmix wet dough in the bowl before kneading it on the table. That works, but it's messy. So I started using a pasta spoon and it works well and is easy to clean.

It's one of those "wrong tool for the job" things that works. I can see the hair standing up the back of DMUN's neck.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I have a tool that I havn't heard mentioned before. I think it's called a "Clinker Grabber," it was used to remove clinkers from a coal fired stoker furnace. A typical stoker would have a hopper and a screw drive auger that would feed coal into the furnace. The clinker is created by the incinerated coal. I use this tool to add wood to the pizza fire,and I am able to place the log right where I want it to go with no mess. It is also handy to move the burning logs from one place to another. Good luck in finding one!!

Comment

Jack, can you include a picture? I'm still using my garden hoe for the same task, the wood handle is finely charred.

Comment

A picture of the clinker grabber that Jack pointed me towards.

the link in case I attach improperly, 6th photo down, patented in 1903

What is it?

Comment

Maver,

What a splendid piece of period iron to use with your oven. If you haven't found one yet, keep looking.

Jim
                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I have added a few items to the FB Store, including a nice pair of long leather gloves, cedar planks, and a commercial pizza cutter (you can remove and sharpen/replace the cutting wheel). You can find it all in at http://www.foronbravo.com/store/.

Here are a couple of photos.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Would use the rack. Stand may be too large for space

Comment

Tim,
                      I love those pans. There's something about cast iron and brick ovens.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Wooden FB Peel

Hi,

I have just bought a wooden Forno Bravo peel from the NZ distributor, David Anderson. (BTW a very nice and helpful guy)

Should I season the peel with oil before use (if so, what sort of oil) or just use it as is?

Comment

I use mine bare. They get dirty on the bottom from skidding it onto the ashy surface of the cooking floor. I don't think oil would help. Keep it dry, of course. Some people suggest superfine sanding of the working surface to make pizzas slide off better, I don't think this makes much difference.

On a topic up thread, one of the clinker grabbers went on eBay this week, for 72usd. Too rich for my blood.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dmun,
                            Like to ask you a question about the ashy floor of the oven. Do you simply brush off the bottom of the cooked pizza when done? Looks like the crust would be gritty all the time.
                            I am still curing my oven and will soon be diving into pizza making. I thought i read about someone using a damp rag on a long mop handle to clean floor prior to cooking, but would that not cool the floor down too much?
                            Appreciate any help,
                            Jim Bob

Comment

Do you simply brush off the bottom of the cooked pizza when done?
                              You brush the floor before placing the pizza. Wood ash tends not to stick at those temperatures, and I've never had a gritty pizza. You want to use small pieces of well seasoned hardwood for your final flame while cooking: any sort of junk will do to heat the oven up, but pine and scrap lumber will spit bits of char and ash on top of your pizza.

The only time ash is a problem is in windy conditions. You just have to brush more often then.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi all, I would have to say, my fav gadget would be my bread maker. As I have a back injury, kneading dough can be quite a painful exercise, so my little friend the bread maker makes it for me. She does does such wonderful job and I can enjoy the rest of my pizza making :-)
                                Cheers Lee

Comment

Working...
                                X