No announcement yet.

Tri-Tip: How'd you do it in the WFO??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tri-Tip: How'd you do it in the WFO??

Originally posted by Matt916 View Post
    George: I think it might work better to sear it first if you want the crust (and i definitely dont blame you if you do). Unfortunately, i dont have a door yet so this isall just cooking theory, but once i do, i wont rest until i perfect this tri-tip method.
    Thanks Matt. Well that's exactly what I did 2 weekends ago, I did a dirty tri-tip by first laying it directly on the coals for a good sear all around, then moved it off to the side until it reached internal temperature.
    But I liked the idea of using low temps to reach 135, but that required a separate source of heat for the quick sear, either before or after.

George
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Your slow smoked tri-tips sound great (ya, the color is anemic but after-char was a good save). When I think of Santa Maria Tri-tip, it's also slow and smoked but I think it has lots of BBQ sauce. Either way, I may try it your way and do a before sear.

MY 3 tri-tips for my summer party came out great. I used a dry rub and let them sit in the fridge 1.5 days. Brought to room temp, then into the WFO after the pizzas came out. I used a remote digital thermometer and pulled it out about 25 min later when it was 130 deg at the thicker parts. I cooked it on a grate over water in the wofo with the door on. It was extremely tender, just about as perfect as it can get. Even the thinner ends that were 'medium' stayed tender. I cut them 1/4" thick on a diagonal so even thinner cuts would have been better but not needed. I've got my faith restored in Tri-Tips (after having some tough ones in the past). I was to busy cooking to take pics .

Matt: OK, the race is on...My 'temp' door is hideous and is curling at the top as I watched my smoke escape trying to do Costco spare ribs yesterday in my dwindling wfo heat. I need a good door and will make it my next 'project'.

This tri-tip thread has been fun. Thanks guys, Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

haha, alright Dino! although if i was a betting man, i would put my money on you to finish first. during the majority of my build last winter, I actually drew some of my WFO design from your pics. BUT, i've really been craving tri tip lately...so I may have to work on that in the next couple of days.

i'm hungry now

Comment

This thread was timely. They're having a debate over at this BBQ forum on whether to smoke or grill tri-tips.

George
          George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Working...
          X