X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    Re: trouble getting the pizza to slide off the peel

If you let the tiniest bit of tomato sauce, olive oil or (gasp) pineapple juice find it's way onto the wooden peel, then this will also stop the base from sliding off. If you have a lot of people to cook for you can cheat a little and go to your local baker and get them to supply you with partially cooked bases. They are not as good as the freshly made one but they eliminate all the problems of rolling out the dough and the sliding problem. A tip when asking yor baker for the bases is to request them made really thin and cooked only a tiny bit. You can feed an army easily this way and it will give you more time to practice. The the next party you can do 50/50 fresh and pre done ones and compare.
    Dave
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied
    Re: trouble getting the pizza to slide off the peel

Need to try semolina or rice flour, both are much slicker than AP, bread, or Caputo flours.

I'm guessing the problem is the time spent on the peel, regardless of what you use, the dough is going to stick if worked to hard or if you spend too much time spreading and topping. This is the exact reason I DO NOT let my guests build there own. They can pick whatever they want on it, but only my wife and I do the building of the pies.

RT

Leave a comment:

• ThermoJax
    started a topic trouble getting the pizza to slide off the peel

trouble getting the pizza to slide off the peel

Currently, we are purchasing our dough from whole foods, as we don't know how to make it yet. I have had a number of good releases from the wood peel onto the floor of the oven, yet it seems like 25 % of them either have cheese go forward onto the floor, then I would have to try and pull the peel again for the release, or the dough just sticks and some kind of partial fold over happens. My wife builds them onto the peel and I cook them. She assures me that she has plenty of flour dusted on, and perhaps since she purchased this batch the day before thanksgiving, and it was now almost 3 days old could have something to do with it.

I have to learn quick as we are hosting a buddies retirement party for 80 people on 12/10/10, so I better have a breakthrough quick like.

(I could use a perforated pizza pan as a cheat, but it seems so wrong)
Working...
X