Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tonight's bake: Caputo VS King Arthur

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    ....snip.... The Caputo is slightly better flavor-wise, but it is a PIA to cook with, hard to find and expensive. I do not see myself using it as my normal dough,....snip....
    Is this your bottom line for the Caputo flours you have tried? I'm just about to settle for the King Arthur flour locally available.....
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

No Central Market up there? I am sure I will use it again, but I will use the KABF far more often.

Comment

No Central Market up there? I am sure I will use it again, but I will use the KABF far more often.
        That is what I thought you meant. Central market is about an hour away, when its not snowing. All they had last week was their store brand and King Arthur flours. I have read many good things about King Arthur and bought some....Am I missing something at the market?

Thanks
        Last edited by Lburou; 01-10-2011, 11:36 AM.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Both of them here have it, but it is low and hard to see.

Comment

The last time I bought Caputo pizzeria flour, I had to:

(1) Search on the internet for a local source.
            (2) Call the sole us importer in Florida to get the name of a local distributor.
            (3) Call said distributor to check availability.
            (4) Show up on a specific day of the week.
            (5) Bring cash.
            (6) Exact change.
            (7) Get interrogated about why I wanted the stuff.

Molina Caputo must be aware that Americans are increasingly sophisticated about food and ingredients. Why should buying their product be so much like a drug deal?
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Both of them here have it, but it is low and hard to see.
              Thanks for the heads up, I'll look again

Dave, I hope my search won't come to that
              Last edited by Lburou; 01-10-2011, 04:46 PM.
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

If you can't find it, I'll ship you a bag to try, no problems.

Comment

TS: thanks for methodical experiment and posting the pics. Very interesting to watch.

I notice you do a couple things just like me: mix by hand and add the salt after initial mixing. I feel I'm in good company .

I think I'm in the same boat about Caputo vs KA too. Splatgirl posted stuff about how she always used KA flour so then I tried it and...like you said, not as smooth as Caputo but the finished product surprised me how similar they turned out. I would think any flavor difference has more to do with how many hours the dough cold ferments.

What's your thoughts on the 2 tomato sauces (Fresh and cooked) you made?

Interesting thread, thanks, Dino
                  "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                  http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

That was the only major difference between the two doughs: The Caputo was a room temp rise and the KABF was a cold ferment, although both rose for the same amount of time. Normally I like a 2 day cold ferment, so it may not have been fair to the KABF.

I prefer the cooked down sauce, it has much more flavor. When fresh tomato time rolls around I move towards the fresh sauce.

Comment

If you can't find it, I'll ship you a bag to try, no problems.
                      Thanks, a kind gesture there....I'll PM you if it becomes necessary
                      Lee B.
                      DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Here is one of the KABF doughs after a 7 day cold ferment. Certainly one of the better tasting crusts I have ever made. I cooked it in the kitchen oven starting at 550, then easing down to 450 throughout the 8 minute bake. I opened the 300g doughball, normally used for a 14" easily into a 16" skin. You can see how orange the dough is on the second pic. Baby portabellos, paprika peppers and lots of finely diced onions. Yum!

Comment

At seven days the dough should have been losing integrity (getting "runny"). Should have lots of "flavor". It seems to have come out pretty well!
                          J

Comment

It worked well, but yesterday's 8 day dough was about as far as I would want to push it. Pepperoni, diced green chili, and mushroom bits. Dough was pressed out to 16" again and was very good.

Comment

Working...
                            X