From dough ball to pizza flat...how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From dough ball to pizza flat...how?

When I make a pizzal, I pick up the ball, stretch it a bit from underneath then turn it in my hands, with the 'wheel' hanging down, working in a circle around the pie as it stretch, working it outwards. When I see pictures like this one,

Im inclined to think that they were made with a roller, rather then all in the air. I am wondering, how do you do it? How do you go about turning that ball into a nearly uniformly thick pizza, credit card thick?

mine look good IMO, but they are always a different shape, and the thickness isn't consistently even, though close, not perfect. Plus, i need to be able to do it fast... thanks, Dan

Re: From dough ball to pizza flat...how?

I'm finding this exact thing a challenge as well. I'm finding it hard to find the right amount of rest for dough balls - they tend to keep rising and then stick together. If I handle the dough ball too much - it develops too much spring and want to stay more like a puck, if the ball is not well formed when I pull it up, I'm more likely to end up with thick spots along the edge, and thin spots in the middle.

I really think getting the dough just right is the most 'artful' part of pizza making - and I feel like I'm way at the base of the learning curve.

-Preston

Comment

Individually balled, then pressed out. The dough never leaves the counter until it goes on the peel.

Pizza Anarchy

There are a hundred or so almost perfectly round ones.

Comment

Tom,

Hello.

Is your cold ferment process similar to the one on your Anarchy site? just put in the fridge?

Thanks,

Derk

Comment

About 40 seconds into this otherwise crappy video shows the same method by which I shape my pizza skins into a flat even thickness pizza. Not hard to learn, notice he stays away from the middle of the skin.
          YouTube - ‪New York Restaurant - Pizza Making‬‏

Hope this helps,
          Wiley

Comment

Yes, just put it in the fridge. I do not have one ironclad method, but that is my normal way. I do not have a mixer (nor do I want one), so I let time develop the gluten instead physical labor.

Comment

Well, when I need a refresher, I go to this video..

YouTube - ‪Drunken Dough‬‏
              My oven (for now):
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

oh, and there is plenty to earn in Ts's pizza making thread.
                My oven (for now):
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

There are many ways to "open the dough". Practice is the best teacher. Lots of videos to watch on youtube. I personally like to allow the dough ball to proof after it comes out of the oven for about two hours. Then I open the dough.
                  Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Working...
                  X