Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critters in the flour...

Critters in the flour...

I went to make some bread today and found critters have laid grubs in the flour....yuk....

The flour was in a sealed plastic tub too, I had to chuck out 10 kilograms of good bread flour.....
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: Critters in the flour...

This may be really gross to most but I think your bugs were already in your flour in a larvae state. As your flour gets old the bugs start to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
      This may be really gross to most but I think your bugs were already in your flour in a larvae state. As your flour gets old the bugs start to grow.
      Hi Faith.
      Yup I had thought of that, we had some flour in a sealed glass jar some years ago and after a while you could see tunnels appear in the flour and tracks on the glass.

I made the mistake of buying two sacks of flour this time instead of 1 at a time and it stayed in the plastic tub too long..

I did think about sifting this last lot but there was silk webs in the flour.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

i wonder if microwaving the flour would kill the bugs?
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Probably but they leave a silk trail.......yuk
          Last edited by brickie in oz; 10-29-2011, 03:25 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

option 1. chuck the flour
            option 2. sift out the bugs and their rubbish
            option 3. bake bread but don't tell anyone about the bugs
            I've tried all three options, not sure what's best. I bet commercial bakeries have the same dilemma
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I went and bough another bag of flour, critter free hopefully.
              Im now trying some 80% hydration chiabatta.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

There are bugs in all flour. Here is how I deal with it:

Buy small amounts (5#)
                Freeze it for a week

Comment

Good tip with the freezing.
                  I made the mistake last time of buying 2 x 10 Kg bags.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I freeze all of my grain and flour to avoid the little buggers. Have not had a problem in a while!
                    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

When I buy bulk flour I move it to a set of plastic food storage "canisters" (various sizes) that facilitate freezing to kill the larva/eggs. After a few days of freezing I find the canisters (which have tight, sealing lids) can be stored at room temperature for extended periods with no problems.

I am now freezing the linen and linen liners I use on my bannetons for bread making to reduce weevils also. (The one curse of weekly to biweekly breadmaking!)

Comment

Originally posted by texassourdough View Post
                        I am now freezing the linen and linen liners I use on my bannetons for bread making to reduce weevils also. (The one curse of weekly to biweekly breadmaking!)
                        From now till March all I need to do is keep everything outside. Freezing things is not a problem in winter in Minnesota.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

We have all of a sudden what my son terms "pantry moths", never seen or had them before, any open packet gets larvae like maggots in them, and when they pupate they leave silky strings all through the affected food.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I have had a few of those nasty things paying me a visit in the past too.

I buy flour from the local agent and it's always very fresh. In the colder months I buy 2 x 12.5 kg bags but tend to reduce that to 1 bag in Summer to minimise the possiblity of bugs breeding in it.

I guess it's just one of the risks associated with the exciting job of pizza making.
                            / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                              We have all of a sudden what my son terms "pantry moths", never seen or had them before, any open packet gets larvae like maggots in them, and when they pupate they leave silky strings all through the affected food.
                              We had an infestation about 8 years ago when my wife's sister gave us her pantry supplies upon moving out of town. They got into everything grain related, oats, wheat, flour, rice, cereal etc.

We threw out lots of food for about 6 months until we finally got rid of them.

Here we call them meal moths.

Full cleaning and destruction of any suspect food was the thing that finally got rid of them. The egg pods seem unaffected by insect sprays or foggers. The moths and larve will die but the food is not usable if invaded IMO.

They seemed to be able to get into closed containers but at that time we did not try zip bags, thanks for the hint should we get them again.

Chip
                              Chip

Comment

Working...
                              X