Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used a 'chicken bric' inside their oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used a 'chicken bric' inside their oven?

"The Chicken Bric is an unglazed pot wich is designed to hold a whole chicken. Being unglazed the bric soaks up water (you soak it in water for 2hrs prior to cooking) which is generated into steam when put in the oven, keeping the chicken moist and succulent when baked while retaining full taste potential without the bother of continual basting"

Re: Anyone used a 'chicken bric' inside their oven?

I had one of these years ago. We used it once to cook a chook and when it was stored in the cupboard it became a magnet for cockcroaches. Although it had been washed thoroughly the porous terra cotta must have contained some of the chicken fat and juices. I decided that I would glaze it, so I biscuit fired it to clean it up then glazed it. Unfortunately I was forgetting that it was terra cotta and I fired it up to stoneware temp. The whole thing melted at the higher temp ruining two shelves and a few adjacent pots.
    In a WFO roasts come out so moist anyway I doubt there is much advantage in such a cooking vessel.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Re: Anyone used a 'chicken bric' inside their oven?

Known here as a clay pot cooker, or sometimes by the popular brand name, "Romertopf". Have used one successfully in the kitchen range for years; throw in some chicken, veggies and a bit of wine, go read a magazine, come back to a delicious, juicy meal. However, I would hesitate to use one in the WFO because the soaked pot is supposed to be put into a cold oven which is then brought up to cooking temperature, to prevent splitting the pot. See this: Clay Cooker Preparation and Usage - Cooking in a Claypot
      Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Working...
      X