Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Rib

We're thinking about cooking a prime rib for New Years day. I could use some tips as to prep, temps, and time (for various weight). To add to the questions, does anyone brine a rib or is that reserved for poultry?

TIA,

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Re: Prime Rib

The "hot" concept for prime rib is using an oven at 250 to 275 F. That is too low to benefit from a WFO unless it is the very tail of the bake and if you fire it up for Christmas I will bet you will want it hotter for other purposes. The roast needs to be browned either in a roasting pan OR (recommended by Thomas Keller) a propane blowtorch. You could conceivably use a hot WFO for the browning...

Google blowtorch prime rib and you will find instructions and videos.

Do not brine the roast. Take it out of the fridge about two hours before you plan to bake, do the blowtorch browning thing. (Keller only does it until the exposed meat is gray and the fat is beginning to render and brown a bit. Then season generously - salt and pepper is all you really need. Let it warm up a while. And bake in a 250-275 F oven to 128 to 130 F. Time will be from 2 hours or so with a 2 rib small end roast at 275 or so to 5 hours with a 7 rib roast at 250.

That is how we are doing ours this year!
    Jay
    Last edited by texassourdough; 12-19-2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jay,

I checked it out and it seems pretty straight forward. I'm a little unsure about the meat turning grey but I guess I will figure that out when I have the torch in hand.

Thanks again,

Les...

Comment

Depending on the size of your roast, you may want to pull it closer to 125F for medium-rare. A couple of years a go I paid a ton for a beautiful 10lb 'aged' rib roast and pulled it at 130F, not expecting it to coast up a full 10 degrees, way past medium-rare.

Comment

Hi Les!

I did it without the "grey" instructions 2 years ago and I probably overdid it ... but at 250 to 275 you are not going to get a lot of browning so I think don't think you need to be shy about the browning - but you will get some browning so...it isn't very critical either. There are several videos running around about doing this. The visually best is probably the one with the brunette in the black dress. Blowtorch Prime Rib Roast - The Delicious Does Ad Hoc at Home - YouTube I think she is on the "light" side of what I will do on Sunday!

There is one where a guy barely colors the beef at all. Blowtorch Prime Rib - YouTube That methinks is wrong. I think his torch is too small!

You want to get the fat melting to catch and hold the seasoning. This one looks pretty good too. Bigger torch too.

Somehow I think WFOs and blow torches have a commonality in the intense fire arena!

Look forward to hearing about your results. I bought a 7 rib roast today (big group) and will probably cut it in half (so we have more end cut).

Now if only I can find that brunette!
          Jay

Comment

Yea, I saw her earlier when I was looking for a video - there are a couple of hot things about that. We haven't bought the rib yet as we are cooking this on New Years - I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again...

Comment

The best way I've found to cook a rib roast is: If boneless, tie up, otherwise salt and pepper and sear in a pan of hot oil until well browned all sides. I cook mine at 200 - 225 F oven temp. It takes a good deal longer, but it is done the same all the way through, no variation of doneness. I take mine out at 135 F for medium rare to medium. I found slow cooking won't raise the temp as much after taking it out. If some folks like their beef more done, I usually cut a section off of the main at the beginning and cook a little longer.
              Leigh

Comment

GF's caution is appropriate, it will rise some. Keller indicates it should rise no more than 2 degrees but that is a function (in part) of roast size. Cooked at 350 or hotter the rise will be significantly larger!

Sounds like a bunch of us are going to eat well on Christmas!
                Jay

Comment

Originally posted by rodeair View Post
                  sear in a pan of hot oil until well browned all sides.
                  Leigh,

You are missing the fun of torching a piece of meat. I will try and post a video.

Thanks all!

Comment

Les,
                    I admit, I never thought or heard of that. It sounds like a winner to me. I know my cooktop backsplash will appreciate it.
                    Leigh

Comment

About the only pretreatment I have heard of for rib roast is dry aging. Alton Brown gives good instructions on how to do it. I haven't done it for awhile but it was mostly just having it in the fridge in a covered but vented container for a day or two. Either way I can't imagine you not having a truly glorious piece of roast beast when you are done.

Comment

Cooked the rib on New Years day. We didn't use the WFO as it only needed 275 degrees to cook. I tried the torch before bake and it worked pretty well. If I change anything, I think I will torch it a little more - plus it is a fun thing to do.

Hopefully this link will work.

prime rib 006.mov - YouTube

Comment

Hi Les!

Looks good!

I did mine on Christmas - a whole 15 1/2 pound seven rib monster. It was GORGEOUS! Pink almost at the edge but with a delightful crust. This was my second time to do this and I am going to try it on other roasts! Outstanding!
                          Jay

Comment

Jay,

15 pounds is a monster! This one was only 5 pounds but plenty for me and the wife. You must have used a bigger torch than the one I used
                            Last edited by Les; 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X