Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for all bakers out there?

A question for all bakers out there?

Have a look at the video in the link and please tell me your thoughts on this mixer?
    Good, bad, expensive?

Spiral Mixers | Dough Mixers | Mecnosud, Moretti, Santos
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: A question for all bakers out there?

Quite a few big no brand ones on Ebay for a lot less
    Im curious too. on what the response is.
    Gut tells me big one over powered and under utilised is going to last quite well.
    600 Watt is what I have in my Kenwood,I've already killed one kenwood and an Aldi mixer making bread/pizzas.
    commercial dough mixer | eBay

Comment

I have a Kitchen Aide that is not that old and is dying, so much for getting a so called good brand.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The Santos is a revered mixer for pizza dough and for artisanal bread doughs. Very gentle. Very good for developing dough without overworking. The price is WAY higher than I would expect but...everything is probably high in Oz. I can handmix a lot of dough for $2000!

Comment

Originally posted by texassourdough View Post
          I can handmix a lot of dough for $2000!
          Im having a party maybe in a few weeks, better start making your way over then.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Its been doing my head in all day about what mixer to buy so Ive just bought a cheap chinese model off epay that has a 10l bowl for $600.

Cant be any worse than the over priced KA KitchenAid?: Welcome to KitchenAid.com
            They seem to forget that ppl are willing to pay a premium based on their reputation and instead they build inferior products oversees in China to maximise profits.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Al!

In reviewing this I just realized the seller refers to the Santos as a spiral mixer. This is not correct. The Santos pictured is considered a fork mixer. Fork mixers are considered marginally more gentle than spirals (but a bit more temperamental to use - the bowl is not driven and one usually has to hand turn the bowl until the dough begins to form). Spirals that I know of have driven bowls and need less attention but are often harder to clean.

Both forks and spirals tend to want a significant amount of dough to work properly. My hand mix/S&F routine has gotten so ingrained I no longer have much aversion to making any amount of dough. It is all pretty much the same whether it be four pounds or twenty. (Yes the hand mixing of the twenty takes a bit longer but that is only to the coming together/wet stage. Five minute rest and a bit of kneading to even things out and get a bit more organization and then into a tub. S&Fs in a tub are pretty much identical except the tub and dough are larger.) I am pretty much on auto now when it comes to mixing dough. And I tend to find that I can make pretty much any bread the same way.

Bake on!
              Jay

Comment

Jay, what are you using for a tub?

Karl

Comment

I have several that I bought from a local restaurant supply. They are simply food storage tubs with lids. The larger ones I also use to store balled pizza dough. The smallest and the one I use most is a 5.2 liter "Half Size" tub from Carlisle (also says Ace Mart on the bottom which is the restaurant supply - they are all over the nation, I think.) Anyway its lid is a bit over 10 inches wide and about 13 inches long. The actual tub is about 8 1/2 inches by 10 1/2 inches. It holds a 2.5 kilo batch of dough really nicely for doing S&Fs and bulk proofing. I usually do the primary mix (leaven, flour, water, salt, etc.) in a bowl for this is a bit small for that but once roughly mixed and given five minutes or so and a bit of preliminary kneading I simply oil it lightly with canola oil and dump the dough in. Sort of flatten/stretch it to mostly fit the tub and come back a half hour later and do the S&F. Robertson (in Tartine Bakery) recommends using round containers and I find doing S&Fs in those very awkward. I think the tub encourages really nice natural dough development that is almost uniquely wonderful by comparison. (I am confident this part is delusional but after I used tubs at SFBI for a week I came home and used the round tubs and immediately went back to the rectangular ones!

Good news! These tubs are cheap! (by comparison to everything else!)
                  Jay

Comment

Thanks, Jay.

Did they use round or rectangular at SFBI? I would think a rectangular tub would be ideal for S&F. I've got to get a couple. About how deep is the 8.5x10.5 tub?

Karl

Comment

I have a Kitchen Aide that is not that old and is dying, so much for getting a so called good brand.
                      I have the KA (575 Watts I think) mixer that I bought 20 years ago. Its been a few years since I made dough in it and even though the bowl wasn't over-filled, once the dough started to get tight the motor seemed to labor a bit so I quit using it for fear of damaging it. I understand that at one point KA went to cheaper, plastic gears that failed so miserably that they went back to the original gears.

Any chance you may have gotten one with the inferior gears?

John

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post

Any chance you may have gotten one with the inferior gears?

John
                        Is there a place I can check the serial number to find out which batch I have?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Al, John is right about the plastic gear thing and it occurs to me that the going back to metal and moving away from the old flat dough hook to a spiral hook may have happened about the same time. The Sprial shouldn't work the motor and gears as much. Does anyone know when the Spiral hook became a KA mixer item? I should also add that KA does not have this hook available for my 30 year old K5 stand mixer so I know it is only ok for some newer models.
                          :-(

Chris

PS Whirlpool aquired KitchenAid in 1986, I'm not certain when the changes from metal to plastic and back took place.
                          Last edited by SCChris; 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I bought this off ebay its a Chinese model obviously, but its a beast for dough.

Edit:- It cost all of $600 which was cheaper than the KA.
                            Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-11-2012, 10:30 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Al,
                              That's a good-looking mixer! I went right to Ebay and found a number of $800-$1000 mixers that I will think seriously about purchasing. Thanks for sharing. I would like to know more about your mixer's performance and your general thoughts (good and bad) once you've had the opportunity to put it through its paces.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X