Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza with Lamb?

OK, Aussies and Kiwis,

Do you make pizza with lamb? Any superb recipes to share?

Thanks,

Clayton

Re: Pizza with Lamb?

Ive tried this Syrian recipe before but never made it myself yet but it was delicous
    Lahm bi ajine: Minced lamb pizza recipe : SBS Food

Comment

Clayton,

Have you checked out these links on Pizza Quest? I think these are two amazing pizzas!

Let us know what you end up making! Take photos and send them to me and I'll post em up on PQ!

This is a Webisode we did with Chef Jensen Lorenzen at the Cass House Inn in Cayucos, CA. He made this pizza to mimic one of his lamb dishes that he serves in the restaurant. Came out great with a Lamb Merguez Sausage!

Jensen's Lamb Merguez Pizza

Here's the Finale of the series with Jensen where he serves Peter the Lamb:

Cass House Inn, Finale

Also, I was sent a great recipe from Jay Buonchristiani of Buonchristiani Winery. He has a WFO and this is one of his favorite pizza recipes. He sent me notes and I made this one up and paired it with one of his wines and it's truly a winner! Since I just got my WFO, I'm going to have to bang this one out again!

The Buonchristiani Lamb Fennel-Sausage and Mushroom Pizza

*When I can't get lamb, I've done this with Pork Sausage and it's wonderful as well.

Brad

Comment

I make a pizza with ground lamb that is a big hit at our house. I broil the lamb with a sprinkling of cinnamon and allspice, salt and pepper to taste. The cinnamon and allspice are light and reflect our family's Lebanese heritage. (Broiling meat means no dishes if you cover the pan you use in aluminum foil.)

I load it with onion (I always coat my onion in olive oil for pizzas as soon as it is cut) and use a bit of goat cheese with mozzarella, but what makes it awesome is sliced pickled sweet peppers. They give a nice acid to the pizza that just makes it awesome.

The sauce is a white mix I use of half Parmesan and half mayo, a touch of garlic and enough milk to make it come through a squirt bottle. I put it on over the toppings just before the cheese. It works great for any pizza with a white sauce.

We call it Kibbee pizza at our house. It's always on our menu when we have a big shindig.
        My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Gudday Xene
          Read you recipe and I had to stop a bit at first.
          The term "broil" I had to look that one up. UK and Aust use the term "grill" for overhead heat. Were Americans use the term "grill" for heat from below. So it becomes a little confusing sometimes ... But I get it now.
          You use " pepper" in the broiled lamb... Is that black or white pepper?
          I tend to use white pepper in middle eastern recipes or any recipe that requires a bit of cooking time as the flavour survives. Black pepper I tend to add at the last minute as it doesn't survive heat too well.
          Sweet peppers are what we call capsicum. I usually char the skin off and chop and preserve with a bit of olive oil in a jar for future use ( lasts in the fridge 2/3 weeks) How do you pickle them? Sound good!
          Lastly( sorry full of questions) why do you put you onion in olive oil after it is freshly cut.
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/f...w-19958-2.html

Hi go to my post on this thread. Made this last week. It was literally to die for.
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              Gudday Xene
              Read you recipe and I had to stop a bit at first.
              The term "broil" I had to look that one up. UK and Aust use the term "grill" for overhead heat. Were Americans use the term "grill" for heat from below. So it becomes a little confusing sometimes ... But I get it now.
              Sorry for any confusion, I hadn't considered the 'international' nature of this forum before I posted. Our ovens in the US simply say 'broil', grill in the US would be over a flame, not under.

Specific directions: Cover a small pan (mine is about 8 x 10) with aluminum foil. Move the rack to just below the broiler and turn the broiler on high. Break up the hamburger or lamb into small bite-sized pieces, the smaller the better, and cover the pan with meat. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper (add the cinnamon and allspice if using) and place under the broiler. When you can smell it (about 7 minutes) it should be checked, and if browning nicely, turn over with the fork and allow the other side to cook. When done, remove to container lined with paper towels to absorb any extra grease, remove the paper towels before heading out to make the pizza. Throw away the foil, rinse the pan if necessary. Make pizza.

You use " pepper" in the broiled lamb... Is that black or white pepper?
              I tend to use white pepper in middle eastern recipes or any recipe that requires a bit of cooking time as the flavour survives. Black pepper I tend to add at the last minute as it doesn't survive heat too well.
              To be perfectly honest, I am not that finicky with subtle flavors. I don't use fancy tomatoes for my sauce and on pizzas where there are competing flavor profiles like this with the cinnamon, the pickled peppers, the goat cheese, I use shredded whole milk (ALWAYS whole milk mozz) cheese, not fresh mozzarella. By the time the oven chars the edge and everything cooks together, something as subtle as black or white pepper is completely lost. It should taste good to you before it ever makes it on the pizza. That's my test. It's the flavor profile you like that matters.

Sweet peppers are what we call capsicum. I usually char the skin off and chop and preserve with a bit of olive oil in a jar for future use ( lasts in the fridge 2/3 weeks) How do you pickle them? Sound good!
              I use store bought pickled peppers, they are banana ring peppers and we can get them at nearly every grocery store. They are killer good on a cold meat sandwich, but they are great on both hamburger and lamb pizzas with white sauce. And they are totally unexpected, so people think they are really exotic. Here is a link to something similar to what I use: Vlasic Banana Pepper Rings Mild (12 oz.) Buy Groceries Online - Grocery Delivery - Mail Order

Lastly( sorry full of questions) why do you put you onion in olive oil after it is freshly cut.
              Regards dave
              I can't recall the source now, but I 'absorb' cooking trivia -- and admittedly I could have it wrong --but a while back I recall reading that the Allium family (onions, garlic, leeks, spring onions, chives) are susceptible to oxygenation that can make them bitter if not used right away. So when preparing ahead, tossing them with oil keeps the oxygen out. It had something to do with being sulfur-rich vegetables if I recall and some chemical breakdown. Again...I could be totally recalling that wrong, BUT onions do produce a sweeter more palatable flavor when fried, so the oil allows them to fry in the oven under that intense head instead of drying out and getting tough. So even if I'm off my rocker on the science part, I make up for it all in the enhanced flavor.

When I don't use all of them I store them in the fridge and toss them into an omelet in the morning...superb, and they don't stink up the fridge.

Hope that helps!
              My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xene View Post
                I make a pizza with ground lamb that is a big hit at our house. I broil the lamb with a sprinkling of cinnamon and allspice, salt and pepper to taste. The cinnamon and allspice are light and reflect our family's Lebanese heritage. (Broiling meat means no dishes if you cover the pan you use in aluminum foil.)

I load it with onion (I always coat my onion in olive oil for pizzas as soon as it is cut) and use a bit of goat cheese with mozzarella, but what makes it awesome is sliced pickled sweet peppers. They give a nice acid to the pizza that just makes it awesome.

The sauce is a white mix I use of half Parmesan and half mayo, a touch of garlic and enough milk to make it come through a squirt bottle. I put it on over the toppings just before the cheese. It works great for any pizza with a white sauce.

We call it Kibbee pizza at our house. It's always on our menu when we have a big shindig.
                That pizza sound delicious!

Have you ever tried using something like a Tzatziki sauce for a lamb pizza? I like the idea of the pickled peppers....I think I would completely omit the motz, and use goat cheese and a bit of parm.

Hmmm...I think I will try this one soon.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

The link further up in this thread is to a great sounding pizza with a tzatziki/yogurt sauce that sounds fabulous. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/f...tml#post163041 #19

I use the mozz like glue, it holds the ingredients on better, the goat cheese weaker adhesive strength allows good stuff to fall to the ground if you aren't careful or consume too quickly.
                  My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Hi Xene

Not only sounds good - IT TASTES BLOODY MAGNIFICENT, IF I MUST SAY SO MYSELF....
                    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Gudday
                      Making a rule up for myself.
                      Don't read the food posts before lunch time !
                      A coupla sandwiches don't really taste as good
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I've wanted to try Merguez or at least make it myself. Another version of Lamb on pizza that I make is to "jerk" some ground lamb. I have a local guy from Jamaica who makes & sells his own dry & wet jerk seasonings. I use 1-2 TBSP of dry jerk on top of my ground lamb while cooking. I then use that w/either a white or red sauce, sweet peppers (like peppadew), red onions & cheese. Delicious.

Comment

Working...
                        X