Using bread machines to mix dough???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using bread machines to mix dough???

I've done a search on this great site, and have found where some recommend using a bread machine to mix dough. Does this work well???

I have a question. I have an older West Bend bread machine that has a dough mix setting. It runs for an hour and a half. Does it need to run that long???

Only problem i see is it probably only mixes enough dough to make 2 or 3 pizzas.

You guys that use mixers, what do you use???

Bread machine guys, give me some info....

Re: Using bread machines to mix dough???

I usually use the bread maker if cooking pizza for the family. They are cheap now and don't do a bad job. You can only mix around 500g at a time though.I don't find the time factor a problem because after lighting the fire I then put a batch in the bread maker. For more dough you need a bigger and much more expensive mixer. You can do a few batches in the bread maker and store them in the fridge.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      I usually use the bread maker if cooking pizza for the family. They are cheap now and don't do a bad job. You can only mix around 500g at a time though.I don't find the time factor a problem because after lighting the fire I then put a batch in the bread maker. For more dough you need a bigger and much more expensive mixer. You can do a few batches in the bread maker and store them in the fridge.
      So you let it mix for the entire hour and a half???

Comment

I guess you could use a breadmachine to mix the dough. My concern would be how do you let the flour and water autoclise for 20 minutes? I use a KitchenAid (450 watt) to make all my pizza dough and it does a great job. I can make a big batch of dough (1000 g flour, 650 water, yeast and salt) with little effort on my part other than a little kneading once I pull the dough out of the mixer.

I find the stailess steel mixing bowl for the mixer is great fol letting the dough rise in also. Only one bowl to clean.
        Live life like you're dying....without going bankrupt

Comment

I use an older Bosch mixer and can make up 800g flour with 480g water, I mix with a dough hook for 9 minutes, then ball into 130g balls for 10 - 12 inch pizzas. The balls are put into oiled stretch wrap and placed in fridge for 48 hours.

I pull them out 1 hour before use.

I use a 13% protein bread dough "Dakota Maid bread flour"

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
            So you let it mix for the entire hour and a half???
            Yes I do because the bread maker has its own inbuilt heater and it holds the mix at the right temp to allow it to rest and rise. The advantage is that you don't get your hands all gooey. The disadvantage is that it doesn't make much bread at a time, but we find it fine if you only want to cook one loaf or a few baguettes.

Comment

130g dough balls and you get a 12 inch pie out of it? I have my dough balls about twice that size for a pizza. Are you doing super thin pizzas at that size?

Comment

Originally posted by ronh View Post
                130g dough balls and you get a 12 inch pie out of it? I have my dough balls about twice that size for a pizza. Are you doing super thin pizzas at that size?
                Very thin pizzas my guests always comment on how thin they are. The high protein flour and long cold ferment allows the great gluten development.

I have been very happy with the recipe and thin crisp crusts.

They are quite fragile when slipped from the peel and need to be built quickly so they do not stick.

Chip
                Last edited by mrchipster; 07-23-2012, 03:46 PM.
                Chip

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                  Yes I do because the bread maker has its own inbuilt heater and it holds the mix at the right temp to allow it to rest and rise. The advantage is that you don't get your hands all gooey. The disadvantage is that it doesn't make much bread at a time, but we find it fine if you only want to cook one loaf or a few baguettes.
                  I appreciate the info David.

One more question. I'm a newb, so bear with me. I'll mainly be making dough balls for pizza initially. Does it still need to mix for the hour and a half that the bread machine has on it's dough setting???

Comment

Yes, I always do. Actually the dough is usually better when kept for 24 hrs in the fridge. It gives it time to develop, but it takes your WFO about one and a half hrs to get ready for cooking pizzas anyway. We often fire up the oven and prepare a batch of dough after getting home from work. And we are only a family of three now so it works pretty well, is really easy and pretty quick.
                    Last edited by david s; 07-24-2012, 02:42 AM. Reason: In the middle of cooking dinner

Comment

Working...
                    X