Smoked Dough!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Dough!

Anyone tried to smoke proof their pizza dough? well I'm gonna! Im taking my dough and proofing in my very large apple wood smoker. i can get this smoker down to a consistent 60 deg min so getting to 80-90deg for proofing isnt a problem. I havent done this before, but i am curious as to what a smoky flavor does to dough? may be terrible but im gonna try. Ill keep everyone posted. If anyone is curious im in charlotte, nc and built a casa2g 110 on my back deck.

Re: Smoked Dough!

If you are going to try I would do a cold smoke. Like how you smoke cheese or eggs. So just a bit of wood coals no other heat and don't leave in for two long else you might think your licking the inside of your chimney.

Sounds interesting let us know how it works out.

I just passed through Charlotte not two hours ago...Quick trip to Atlanta to pick up my new toy.

Faith

Comment

Yea, im with you. I cold smoke on my smoker as well. (mostly cheese) BTW it is a custom built smoker by me. This thing really does great. I have been thinking that maybe smoke might put some subtle flavor into the dough.? who knows? fun to try! I was thinking maybe a softer flavor like apple or peach wood, as opposed to hickory or oak. Just experimenting. we would never discover if we dont try! thanks for commenting, thats what makes all this fun is talking to people and enjoying our triumps and failures!

Cheers mate!

Jamie Crane

Comment

Smoked towel!...LOL. Now that sounds like something I am capable of.

Still laughing.

AT

Comment

Could also use this stuff called liquid smoke...some powerful stuff. I've seen people use that in baked beans. Gives that smokey flavor.

Comment

I would think that the gasses in the proofing dough would be counterproductive to allowing the smokey taste from permeating the dough. I also agree with KD about the humidity and skin problem. If you decide to use Liquid Smoke, be careful. A little goes a long way.

Might be better to try and cold smoke an already baked loaf. If I had a smoker that is what I would try.

Comment

I have used roux flour (10%), it gave a subtle smoke flavor, I don't know about actually smoking the dough though.

Comment

That smoked towel comment is awesome. I'm from eastern NC and have smoked more hogs than i care to remember. I also own a steel company and fabricate as a hobby. my newest rig is a double hog cooker that i run off propane. Wish i knew how to post a pic, but this thing can impart smoke into anything at VERY low temps because my wood tray is made of expanded metal sitting directly over a burner. i also have a water tray directly over flame so rig is very moist. Like I said, it may not work, but it sure is fun to try. Flour, water and yeast are cheap!! I'm glad people here enjoy this stuff as much as i do. Pizza is like a very hot woman...even when they are bad, they're still pretty good.

Comment

That is a really interesting idea! Smoked flour! I'll try that as well. experimentation...i love it. ill bet Tesla shocked himself a time or two with his inventions. Just to clarify, i am not an aussie, but i have several aussie friends in south charlotte as well as a new zealander. His nickname is Kiwi and he is a great bloke. I also have an friend that is a brit, and was a judge on tele in england that was the equivilant to our "top chef" in the states. this guy is all into pizza. i will try to get him involved in this blog. he is an incredible chef. thanks for the ideas!

Cheers!

*Note: You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

Comment

Jamie,
                    I was thinking what Doug said........then I read your pizza quote......cracked me up with laughter.....I'll be using that one.
                    Cheers
                    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by jamie View Post
                      Pizza is like a very hot woman...even when they are bad, they're still pretty good.
                      Wait just a minute...I just might resemble that remark.

I think we are all guessing here... won't know until we try. Give it a go and see what happens. Either a success or failure let us know what your experiment produces. Then if it's a success we will try and duplicate and improve your process.

I do like the flour idea. For smoking pizza dough I would have it stretched out and ready for sauce and toppings. That way the smoke is undisturbed for the baking. Should not take long.

If I had the time I would try also... but next week I'm off to Vermont for a class on rye breads with Jeffery Hamelman so trying to get everything done before I go is a true task.

Comment

Faith, I hope we can look forward to a report on the Rye class..

Chris

Comment

Sure will Chris. Quite a few from TFL will be going. This is going to be a great class. Long range forecast is looking good for the trip so driving should be good.

Comment

Thanks, Faith. I agree, I'll get after the smoked dough in a couple of weeks and let everyone know how it turns out. Be careful going to vermont...weather can change quickly this time of year.

Thanks Guys! (and girls)

Comment

Originally posted by jamie View Post
                              Thanks, Faith. I agree, I'll get after the smoked dough in a couple of weeks and let everyone know how it turns out. Be careful going to vermont...weather can change quickly this time of year.

Thanks Guys! (and girls)
                              No update?

Comment

Working...
                              X