Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" Oven Tools

Hello All,

I'm about a month and a half away from completing my oven...only 3 weeks until my curing fires !! I'm building a 36" oven and was wondering what length cooking tools I need. Peels, rake, brush etc... I'm looking at tools that have 47" handles but I'm wondering if 20" handle tools would work for me? Having never done it I don't know and I'd like to have my tools on standby once my oven is ready to cook some food !!

Your thoughts??

thanks
    Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Re: 36" Oven Tools

Your handles generally need to be a bit longer than the diameter of your oven plus the entry. Better to have them too long because you can cut them shorter. Long handles are a pain. You need to be careful you don't clock someone in the head. My oven is small so my handles are quite short and easier to manage one handed.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I have a bunch of tools from FB with 47" handles, and they seem just right for my 36" oven. Depends on the tool though. The tools you use to manipulate things in the oven while you're cooking (round peel, oven rake, brush) definitely need the long handles, because otherwise you're sticking your whole arm into the oven for extended periods of time, and probably can't see what you're doing. For peels used for loading the oven, you can get away with a shorter handle. I have a bunch of wood peels with 8" handles that I use to load pizzas in, for instance. I have a longer handled square metal peel that I use to load bread, but a 20" handle would probably work just as well on that one.
      My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
        Hello All,

I'm about a month and a half away from completing my oven...only 3 weeks until my curing fires !! I'm building a 36" oven and was wondering what length cooking tools I need. Peels, rake, brush etc... I'm looking at tools that have 47" handles but I'm wondering if 20" handle tools would work for me? Having never done it I don't know and I'd like to have my tools on standby once my oven is ready to cook some food !!

Your thoughts??

thanks
        I like wood handles with metal on the business end, not as cold on my hands in the winter.

42 inch oven. Longest tool is my ash rake 60 inches, the shortest is my pot and pan pusher-puller 36 inches.

Both work as designed.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

What about peel size for loading pizza. The "business" end I'm not sure what size I would need. I was thinking a 13" rectangular but now I'm thinking a 15" would be nice. I have a 19" opening.

Completely different topic. When your oven is to temperature and you have your coals/fire to one side do you guys take a lightly damp cloth on your brush to swab the oven floor before cooking?
          Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

You will lose some heat in doing so. I have a tube I blow it clear with.

I have a long handled turning peel, using 2 hands allows you to work it. My other metal peel is about 36" and I also have one that is 18", either work for launching and retrieving.

14" is the minimum width I would get, even with that I sometimes have to use a screen for 16"+ pizzas.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              You will lose some heat in doing so. I have a tube I blow it clear with.

I have a long handled turning peel, using 2 hands allows you to work it. My other metal peel is about 36" and I also have one that is 18", either work for launching and retrieving.

14" is the minimum width I would get, even with that I sometimes have to use a screen for 16"+ pizzas.
              I use a blow tube also, made from an aluminum cross country ski pole, tapers nicely at the end, but make sure your lips do not come in contact with the metal in the winter, I speak from experience there got stuck on the tube once, have a plastic or rubber tip on the lips end.

My metal peel is 16 round.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

LOL, Did someone "double dog dare you" to stick your tongue on the ski pole.......

Christmas Story Classic
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                  I use a blow tube also, made from an aluminum cross country ski pole, tapers nicely at the end, but make sure your lips do not come in contact with the metal in the winter, I speak from experience there got stuck on the tube once, have a plastic or rubber tip on the lips end.

My metal peel is 16 round.

Chip
                  I also have a rubber tip on the end of my blow pipe, but more because after a few beers I've more than once bashed a front tooth on the pipe. I might have "lost my marbles" but I still have all my teeth and I intend to keep them.
                  Rubber on the end of your pipe is a good safety measure.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                    LOL, Did someone "double dog dare you" to stick your tongue on the ski pole.......

Christmas Story Classic
                    No, just a brain fart the first time I used it when it was below zero and starting a fire.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

Working...
                    X