Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pizza Tray in WFO.

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
    Excuse me, but I must be having a mental break down or just maybe a WTF moment. Many of us came to this site to be able to have, anytime we want a real hearth cooked pizza, pizza stone be damned. All the money, back breaking labor, pestering experience builders, with out petty and redundant questions. And now, "I dont want a little ash on my pizza, the floor is too hot and it burned, my pizza." I just don't get it, please enlighten me. Karangi Dude was right, I think I might follow his lead!

Confused in Japan.
    That is the sort of reply that is really useful to us that are less "experienced builders" than you demi gods of the WFO world. If you don't want to be "pestered" can I suggest you don't respond to the posts.
    I was merely seeking advice, I don't remember complaining about ash or the hearth being too hot, just enquiring as to how I could rectify a problem.
    I now have those answers from others considerably more tolerant than your self.

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
      Gudday
      Try the hollow handle of a golf club ( no pun intended )
      Regards dave
      This is a great idea.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks everyone,
        Beautiful weather, at last, in the UK. Cooking again tomorrow night. Have made blow pipe, and have damp mop close to hand. I'm also going to try starting on a tray and then crisping up on the hearth, can't hurt to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by trenchn View Post
          That is the sort of reply that is really useful to us that are less "experienced builders" than you demi gods of the WFO world. If you don't want to be "pestered" can I suggest you don't respond to the posts.
          I was merely seeking advice, I don't remember complaining about ash or the hearth being too hot, just enquiring as to how I could rectify a problem.
          I now have those answers from others considerably more tolerant than your self.
          Don't let replies like that discourage you (or any other person using the forum) to ask any sort of question you want....without the risk of getting flamed.

Ironically, it was that sort of reply which caused Karangi Dude to quit the forum...not what was asked, but how certain questions were replied to. A shame too, he was a valuable member.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Hi,
            I had my first cook in my recently completed WFO a few days ago. A real success, so I'm delighted.
            My only question concerns the speed at which the pizza base burns, and the amount of ash that sticks to the bottom.
            I am thinking about putting a pizza tray in to get hot and then cooking on that to keep it of the ash and floor. I did sweep the floor, but perhaps not enough.
            Does anyone else cokk on anything other than directly on the oven floor?
            Thanks
            Nick
            Hi Trenchn,

I'm not trying to be a smartass or make you feel that you are a bother. Please take a closer look at your question and I'm assuming that you are an adult. The speed at which the pizza base burns, would be determined by the temperature of the cooking surface(brick, metal or stone) and the make up of the pizza base(sugar, syrup or honey would make it burn faster.) "To keep it off the ash and floor." So in my reply I stated burned pizza and ash on the pizza, did I make a mistake in my reading of that? In my reply I use the word out when I meant our, because I'm just like everyone else, I asked questions too. My point is that some questions can't be answered 100% without you doing a little work yourself, like taking a temperature reading of your floor if your pizza is burning fast, make sure that your are rotating it enough, so that it doesn't burn. If you get ash on your first pizza, trying cleaning the surface again before inserting your next pizza. If its taking along time for your pizza to cook, add more wood to the fire to heat up the oven. There are not right or wrongs in using tools such as trays, many people do. I'm sorry if I sound abrasive sometime, but not all of the time.

Comment

Thanks everyone,
              Beautiful weather, at last, in the UK. Cooking again tomorrow night. Have made blow pipe, and have damp mop close to hand. I'm also going to try starting on a tray and then crisping up on the hearth, can't hurt to try it.
              Gudday
              You have probably noticed its the Aussies that are big on tray use. The Aussie "Traditional" pizza has a heavy load of toppings . 5 or 6 not counting the cheese or sauce. So trays work well to contain that lot! If you can try a slotted tray there so much better. Bases tend not to be "wet" but just as important they don't tend to buckle in the heat. You'll find othe uses as well there great for sliding small dishes in and out of your oven and really good for pastries.
              Don't try taking you pizza off the tray in the oven just to hard and hot. Retrieve the tray to the entrance grab the tray edge with tongs and scoop the pizza up with the peel and return to the oven.
              You might want to try cooking a garlic cheese pizza as a starter it will give you some practice with out the tray there easier to get in cause of the lack of sauce and low amount of toppings. If you blow it you can always say you were "checking the ovens temps and the first one experimental one" . You'll find most guest will eat the experiment anyway!!!!
              Enjoy your oven and I hope something here might help
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Trenchn.......that's it try things out to find what suits you..... trays, golf sticks, etc all become something you have in your arsenal which you use depending on conditions or purely preference on the day to get to the perfect wfo pizza.

I think most would agree on WFO mantra #3
                ......less is more......less is more....
                Cheers
                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post

I think most would agree on WFO mantra #3
                  ......less is more......less is more....

Ive had guests pile up to 40mm of stuff on top of their pizzas, you can see it all boil down as its cooking just like a nice stew.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                    Hi Trenchn,

I'm not trying to be a smartass or make you feel that you are a bother. Please take a closer look at your question and I'm assuming that you are an adult. The speed at which the pizza base burns, would be determined by the temperature of the cooking surface(brick, metal or stone) and the make up of the pizza base(sugar, syrup or honey would make it burn faster.) "To keep it off the ash and floor." So in my reply I stated burned pizza and ash on the pizza, did I make a mistake in my reading of that? In my reply I use the word out when I meant our, because I'm just like everyone else, I asked questions too. My point is that some questions can't be answered 100% without you doing a little work yourself, like taking a temperature reading of your floor if your pizza is burning fast, make sure that your are rotating it enough, so that it doesn't burn. If you get ash on your first pizza, trying cleaning the surface again before inserting your next pizza. If its taking along time for your pizza to cook, add more wood to the fire to heat up the oven. There are not right or wrongs in using tools such as trays, many people do. I'm sorry if I sound abrasive sometime, but not all of the time.
                    Now that reply I like much better. Thank you.
                    I don't understand the reference to sugar, syrup and honey, do some people put those in the dough? I don't think we sweeten ours, although I confess my wife is dough maker in chief.
                    When I ask a question I'm after the reassurance that I'm not alone in the problems I'm having. There is always someone that has been there and done that.
                    I love this forum, it's been priceless over the years. I like a bit of banter, abrasive or not.
                    Thanks again.

Comment

I don't understand the reference to sugar, syrup and honey, do some people put those in the dough?
                      There would be some sugar left over from fermentation, plus if you add oil or powdered mild (I do) you will get even more browning.

Experiment with your dough, here is a recipe I use all the time with good results.
                      I mix the dough 4 to 6 hours prior to the party so it gets a better flavour, its almost a sour dough flavour.

250 grams flour. (or multiples)
                      All other ingredients are per 250 grams of flour.
                      1 teaspoon dry yeast. (best stored in the freezer for longer life)
                      1 teaspoon sugar.
                      1/2 teaspoon powdered milk.
                      1/2 teaspoon salt.
                      1/2 teaspoon veggie oil.
                      Luke warm water, 160 grams which is equal to 65% hydration.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                      X